Migrating SQL 2000 DB to 2005

• Hi,

Thank you all for helping me in the past.

We are in a process of migrating SQL 2000 databases to SQL 2005.

it's like there shouldn't be any changes from database but must be migrated to SQL 2005.

We have restored SQL 2k DB on 2005 and set it's Compatibility level to 80.

is this ok to continue with or any kind of modifications do i need to implement.

As part of migration i did few DTS packages migration using Migration Wizard under DTS in 2005. But after completing the migration i'm not able to see the migrated packages.

Any help plz.

Kindest Regards,

arj

• arj,

To answer your question on the Compatibility level, the answer is 'it depends' what does this database do? For example for me, we migrated our ERP system from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 and the compatibility level is 80 (SQL 2000). It has to be this as per the vendor as they have not modified their code to have the databases compliant to level 90 (SQL 2005)

If this database is attached to a third party vendor you need to ask the vendor, if this is in-house then you should test it in mode 90 in a test environment.

NOTE with being in mode 80 you will not be able to use several SQL 2005 features such as custom reports, specific DBCC replacements and such

To answer your second question about migrating DTS packages to 2005, on the SQL 2005 install did you install the 'legacy' portion of SQL server? Once installed you will see a folder called 'Legacy' under that is the DTS packages.

JTS

• Did you install Service Pack 2 ?? I think that has the DTS legacy Components in it, along with all the other fixes & updates.

• For DTS packages, you can also use BIDS and place the files any folder you like to move. It would be good idea to rewrite some of those packages to take advantage of new functionality...

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply