Migrating from SQL2K to SQL2K5, reset to default instance

• I have just installed SQL2K5 on WS2K3, side by side with SQL2K. Once everything is stable, I plan to stop the SQL2K service, and I would like the SQL2K5 instance, which is not the default, to be available as if it were the default.

I 'inherited' responsibility for an MSAccess reporting package that has been distibuted far and wide. The distributed MDE file uses vba code and DAO/ADO to link tables. The code uses an IP Address to reference the current (SQL2K) instance. The reason for this is that some clients were in a non-trusted domain, so dns resolution was not available. I stopped the SQL2K instance hoping that once it was down, the SQL2K5 instance could be connected to using only the IP address. I also told the SQL2K5 instance to listen on port 1433. I can connect to the SQL2K5 instance using the machine name or IP address, IF I append the port number, or the instance name.

My question is this:

Is there any way, short of re-installing 2K5 as the default, to configure the SQL2K5 instance so that it can be connected to using only the ip address or dns-resolved machine name, without having to append a port number or instance name?

Obviously I am working towards cleaning up the legacy issue here, but in the short term I need a way to allow access to those clients to who it is more difficult to re-distribute MDE changes.

• Sorry, I don't think there's a way to do this without uninstalling the default instance first.

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• Thanks Tim, that is the same answer we came up with. Actually glad we uninstalled both and came back with 2K5 as the default.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply