Migrating from sql 2000 to sql 2005

• I hope that there is a migration tools in sql 2005 that will help migrate to our new servers (now on order). Where is there detailed info on this or what all will it do or not do for me? Mainly thinking about usersids, permissions, databases, etc. Would it change any datatypes?

Thanks

• There are so many methodes are there to migrate from V2000 to V2005 check the BOL.

best of luck

• If you're using anything above the workgroup edition, you can use SSIS (DTS as was) to transfer databases.  Otherwise backup/restore works well.  You'll have to change you connection strings in applications yourself.  I haven't had to make any other application changes than that.  Using SQL2K5 Management Studio you can attach to your old databases and get it to script most if not all of the objects you mentioned directly, and run the script against your new servers.  You may have to do some manual tweaking. 

• Be sure to run Upgrade Advisor - free download from Microsoft which will help you find issues and create a plan.  Also, Scalability Experts has a free tool called Upgrade Assistant which allows you to see the behavior differences.

The actual upgrade process can be accomplished several ways.  Check out the Copy Database Wizard in SQL 2005.  It really is pretty good and also sets up SSIS jobs to migrate jobs/logins.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply