Migrating from 2008/2012 SQLserver to new server with sqlserver2019

• Anyone have a guide on how I migrate SSIS from sqlserver 2008 / 2012 to a new server running sqlserver 2019?

Copying the databases over with associated logins and sql agent jobs is straight forward but what do I do with the SSIS element?

Thanks in Advance

• Start with Database Migration Assistant (DMA)

but I don't think it holds migration data for ssis.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  Johan Bijnens.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• It's the siss part I am after the database and logins is straight forward.
  • From 2008/2012 (package deployment model) to 2019 - export the packages to the file system, create new projects, add packages - modify packages to work in project deployment model, deploy to Integration Services catalog and configure as needed.

If you already have 2012 Integration Services Catalog - you can use backup/restore, but it is a bit complex because of the encryption key...or you can export from the catalog and import into the new catalog on the 2019 instance.

If everything you currently have is setup as package deployment - it depends on how you are currently configured.  Is everything in the file system or MSDB or Package Store?  Do you have config files and/or config tables?

Back to my original point - the best way is to convert to project deployment and utilize Integration Services Catalog, and hopefully you are not looking at Azure for the new environment which would require rewriting everything.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks Jeffrey...no azure involved.

Either file system or msdb.

• My recommendation would be to convert to project deployment - install and configure Integration Services Catalog - and rewrite/rebuild your packages as projects and deploy to the catalog.

The benefits far outweigh the extra time it takes to make the change...

If you must keep the deployment the same, it must be done manually - you need to extract each package, identify the config files/tables - move them to the new system, test and validate and recreate the agent jobs.  Since you have to do all that work anyways...converting to project deployment is just a tiny portion of the overall work to be done.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply