Migrating 2017 to 2019 with AGs

• I have 2 SQL 2017 standalone instances in an AG and am now wanting to migrate to 2 new SQL 2019 instances with no downtime.  I have tried using a distributed AG, but am finding it difficult with the limited documentation.  I have a red X on the secondary AG and cannot figure out why.  Does anybody have any other advice for accomplishing this?

TIA

• can you try creating two server with SQL 2019 in same windows cluster add them to AOAG. Create replicas in new servers and failover to SQL 2019 and then remove the servers running 2017 from the cluster.

By the way just out of curiosity , can you please let know why you upgrading from 2017 to 2019?

• That was my first attempt.  I've set up several AGs without problem.  The cluster verification report is fine, yet I cannot add the secondary to the AG.

Can I add a SQL 2019 node to an AG created in SQL 2017?

We have to be running the latest version of all of our software for compliance with contracts we are in within 1 year of release date.

• Using Standard Edition I assume.

AFAIK Std Edtn only supports Basic Availability Groups and has limitations !

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Enterprise edition.  I'm just going to do it the old fashioned way of adding the nodes to the cluster.

I am hoping to learn more about the Distributed Availability Groups.

Thanks for looking, though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply