Migrating 2016 server to 2019

• Hi,

We have an OLAP cube built with 2016 version. Now DBA team is planning to migrate to 2019 SQL server version. This is a general question that if there is any thing SQL server 2019 would not support with oldest version of OLAP cube properties ?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
    Charmer

• Charmer wrote:

Hi,

We have an OLAP cube built with 2016 version. Now DBA team is planning to migrate to 2019 SQL server version. This is a general question that if there is any thing SQL server 2019 would not support with oldest version of OLAP cube properties ?

Thanks in advance.

There are migration tools available from Microsoft (Migration Advisor, IIRC... been a while for me) that should identify such issues.  To be absolutely honest though, the only safe way to do all of this is to upgrade a lesser environment first and do full regression testing.  If you don't have a lesser environment, then you have much bigger problems with quality because that would mean that you're actually developing in Prod.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hello Jeff,

What are you suggesting by lesser environment?

The story is:

we use visual studio 2019 but ssis packages are made with 2016 settings and we are running the cube on 2016 sql server version. The machine that has been provided is having very bad network so cube could not be processed. So we asked for a new machine (on-premise or virtual) with maximum network availability. It took 3 months for IT team to get a new machine and servers. But this time they are planning to install 2019 sql server. So my team is confused with this as we are not sure whether Microsoft still supports everything with cube on 2019 sql version. We don't have any testing machine provided yet. I doubt we will get it though. So I was wondering to put up a question here to get some advise.

Thanks,
    Charmer

• Charmer wrote:

What are you suggesting by lesser environment?

This...

Charmer wrote:

We don't have any testing machine provided yet. I doubt we will get it though.

That's a very real problem.  There should be a Development Environment, a Staging/Testing/UAT Environment, and a Production Environment that is absolutely separated from the "lesser" environments.

Like I said, you can hedge your bets a bit by using the Migration Advisor (not sure what they actually call it now, though).  If you have MS Support, you should also be able to call them and ask them.

You also need to have a backout plan for if the new system fails for any reason.  The good part about this is that you're migrating to a new machine.  That means that the old machine can be left in a "hot standby" mode so you can easily "get back in business" if things go totally haywire on the new not.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• this may help you https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/analysis-services-backward-compatibility

regarding multidimensional only mentions are that these 2 are deprecated

• Data Mining
    • Remote linked measure groups

and these were discontinued

• Remote partitions
    • Remote linked measure groups
    • Dimensional writeback
    • Linked dimensions

Regarding new server - ask IT to give you guys a VM with SQL Developer 2019 installed so you can try it out - regardless of what the documentation says you may always find some issue with it and nothing better than to try it out.

Regarding SSIS packages - depending on what you are doing with them with regards to SSAS there will be changes as the xmla has changed - not that I advise anyone to do it within SSIS and I always advise coding it directly (harder but you get full control of what is down, when and how).

• I have an application that uses SQL 2016 and I need to upgrade the version due to some issues. The Software application vendor tells me I need  SQL2019 when I upgrade. The current system used SQL2016 but with 2014 compatibility settings. I cannot setup and use a new server as its  a qualified system so it has to go onto the existing qualified Server 2016 OS. Do I need to Backup the DB uninstall SQL 2016 install SQL 2019 and then restore the DB or is there an easier way?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply