Migrate the SSIS Catalog in Just a Few Clicks

• Interesting, I had no idea that this tool even existed!

Does it also migrate the run history? (That is, the information displayed on the All Executions report.) If migrating from one instance to another, it may be desirable to keep this history.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Hi Phil,

Glad to know that you found this plugin interesting.

This tool is designed to migrate full or part of SSIDDB catalog artifacts (SSIS projects & environments). Also, the target Integration Services Catalog can be a new or already existing environment.

In our project, we use this tool to frequently promote SSIS project builds from  DEV ->TEST and further environments.

Hence, it would be a bit challenging to migrate the historical execution log. Having said that, it might make sense in case the target SSISDB is fresh and we are planning to migrate everything from the source. I will definitely give it a thought.

Thank you!

Regards,

Kunal

• Kunal Rathi wrote:

In our project, we use this tool to frequently promote SSIS project builds from  DEV ->TEST and further environments.

Hence, it would be a bit challenging to migrate the historical execution log. Having said that, it might make sense in case the target SSISDB is fresh and we are planning to migrate everything from the source. I will definitely give it a thought.

Thank you!

Regards,

Kunal

May I ask why you would use this tool in preference to an automated deployment from source control when moving packages between environments?

Being able to move the history would be a useful (optional) selection, in the case where an existing SSISDB is being moved from one instance to another, but within the same environment (eg, non-in-place upgrade of Prod SQL Server version). That's because some companies will be using the data to track historical run statistics, looking for trends and anomalies.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• At our place, we are always creating and deploying new solutions from qa to prod and this is always a very time-consuming job for my junior DBA's. I did have a stored prod I found online that allowed me to script out the variable names and re-execute them in prod, but it failed to do any of the re-mappings we needed. Also, my junior DBA's found it confusing and often didn't leverage it. I never heard of this tool before. This will be much easier for my team to follow. This tool is an absolute game-changer for my team. Thanks a lot for sharing this.

• Follow all the latest updates to this tool at https://azureops.org/articles/ssis-catalog-migration-wizard-pro/

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by  Kunal Rathi.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  Kunal Rathi.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  Kunal Rathi.
  • This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

At our place, we are always creating and deploying new solutions from qa to prod and this is always a very time-consuming job for my junior DBA's. I did have a stored prod I found online that allowed me to script out the variable names and re-execute them in prod, but it failed to do any of the re-mappings we needed.

• I got excited for this as I have a need to migrated a couple hundred projects with around a thousand packages. Historically we use PowerShell or intern/temp labor. Sadly my excitement for the tool died when I saw the price. A bit sneaky by the author to not mention the tool has a cost. We will use our PowerShell script to move these instead.

Updating my original comment after Kunal reached out to me. Very responsive team who built this tool, flexibility in licensing, and overall seems to meet many, if not all, use cases for migrating SSIS packages. Thanks Kunal for the back and forth.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Joe Bonomo. Reason: Spoke with author in private message

Joe Bonomo

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Migrate the SSIS Catalog in Just a Few Clicks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply