Migrate SQL 2000 Logins to SQL 2005

• [font="Verdana"]You can also make use of Transfer Login SSIS task. Using this you can transfer logins from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005.

Refer the link below

Transfer Logins Task[/font]

• I used the above artice and it worked perfectly.

• Hi Ed,

Please could you send me the transfer login procedure doc for transfering logins from sql 2000 to 2005?

brad.forrest @ za.didata.com

Thanks,

Brad

• I recently migrated databases from sql 2000 to sql 2005, the logins too got migrated, however I had to use these SPs to fix or map the logins that were newly moved:

EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Report'--this will show us how many logins have to be mapped to the new server. that is it will show us the ophaned users.

Now, if you already have a login id and password for this user, fix it by doing:

EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Auto_Fix', 'userid'

this procedure worked, hope u could find useful.

thanks,

• Can you send me login migration stored proc.

• Here are they,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246133

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918992

- Deepak

[font="Verdana"]- Deepak[/font]

• Wow ... all kinds of solutions in this thread !! .... now if I can figure out which is "best"

• There is no "best"

You should look through the list of solutions, pick one that makes sense to you, you understand, and you can easily implement.

• Hi,

Iam transfering logins from sql 2000 to 2005.Sql 2000 and sql 2005 are in different domains.

So Iam using the procedure exec sp_help_revlogin_2000_to_2005 @login_name=NULL, @include_db=1, @include_role=1

GO from the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246133.

and in the output generated by this procedure we need to modify the domain name and run in sql 2005 as KB Artile saying

Remarks

Review the output script carefully before you run it on the destination SQL Server. If you have to transfer logins to an instance of SQL Server in a different domain than the source instance of SQL Server, edit the script generated by the sp_help_revlogin procedure, and replace the domain name with the new domain in the sp_grantlogin statements

But in the output script generated by this procedure I did NOT have the sp_grantlogin statements to change the domain name.

Please advice me where Iam doing the mistake???

• I do not have sp_grant logins statement in the out put script generated by sp_help_revlogin. Is this because of I having all logins as sql server authentication ? I just have BUILTIN\ADMINSTRATORS as the windows login.

please advice me...

Thanks

Kotla

• If you're dealing with SQL Server 2000 and below, here's the query that will reveal the Windows logins you have:

SELECT name FROM syslogins WHERE isntname = 1;

For SQL Server 2005 and above, use this:

SELECT name FROM sys.server_principals WHERE TYPE IN ('U', 'G');

If you're only seeing BUILTIN\Administrators, then that would explain why you don't see any more sp_grantlogins. But you should be at least seeing BUILTIN\Administrators as an sp_grantlogin.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks Brain,

As you are saying I should have atleast one sp_grantlogin as we have one windows login. But clearly Iam not getting sp_grantlogin statement in output script generated by sp_help_revlogin.

Here is the output script generated by the sp_help_revlogin:

/* sp_help_revlogin script

** Generated Feb 22 2009 2:03PM on ABC */

/***** CREATE LOGINS *****/

-- Login: ABC

CREATE LOGIN [ABC] WITH PASSWORD=0x0100B2..... HASHED, CHECK_POLICY=OFF, SID=0x6EF644C639B66E498039DB0FEDA0E4A1

-- Login: ABCD

CREATE LOGIN [ABCD] WITH PASSWORD=0x0100BE......HASHED, CHECK_POLICY=OFF, SID=0xF59265B39109FD4999FABAAF242B2334

-- Login: ABCDE

CREATE LOGIN [ABCDE] WITH PASSWORD='', CHECK_POLICY=OFF, SID=0x3CEC295DFB32C342A0295

-- Login: ABCDEF

CREATE LOGIN [ABCDEF] WITH PASSWORD=0x0100C93D70370ED9ABF7CA3C1763B6 HASHED, CHECK_POLICY=OFF, SID=0x3922A096AD89EB49B6BA68362BFDA1B6

-- Login: BUILTIN\Administrators

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.server_principals WHERE [name] = 'BUILTIN\Administrators')

CREATE LOGIN [BUILTIN\Administrators] FROM WINDOWS

-- Login: ABCDEFG

CREATE LOGIN [ABCDEFG] WITH PASSWORD=0x01001540CD74D2D0A7552 HASHED, CHECK_POLICY=OFF, SID=0x70C28054996CAF41B1F9A375BD6DD9B7

/***** SET DEFAULT DATABASES *****/

ALTER LOGIN [ABC] WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[MASTER]

ALTER LOGIN [ABCD] WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[master]

ALTER LOGIN [ABCDE] WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[master]

-- Login:ABCDEF

ALTER LOGIN [ABCDEF] WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[master]

ALTER LOGIN [BUILTIN\Administrators] WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[master]

ALTER LOGIN [ABCDEFG] WITH DEFAULT_DATABASE=[master]

/***** SET SERVER ROLES *****/

exec master.dbo.sp_addsrvrolemember @loginame='ABC', @rolename='sysadmin'

-- Login: ABCDEF

exec master.dbo.sp_addsrvrolemember @loginame='BUILTIN\Administrators', @rolename='sysadmin'

exec master.dbo.sp_addsrvrolemember @loginame='ABCDEFG', @rolename='sysadmin'

So, There is nothing to change the domain name in this script. Is it safe to run this script as it is in sql 2005 OR do I need to change anything?

Note: Sql 2000 and sql 2005 are in different domains

Thanks for your help

Kotla

• It's using the proper T-SQL command for SQL Server 2005 and above. You can see it here:

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.server_principals WHERE [name] = 'BUILTIN\Administrators')

CREATE LOGIN [BUILTIN\Administrators] FROM WINDOWS

The sp_addlogin and sp_grantlogin stored procedures are deprecated, as are sp_grantdbaccess (use CREATE USER now).

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• thanks Brain,

I just copy the output script generated by sp_help_revlogin in sql 2000 and ran it in sql 2005, which is in different domain and the script ran succesfully and logins were created in sql 2005. Its means that I have no Issues with logins right?

please clarify me this..

• If the only Windows group was BUILTIN\Administrators, this is a Windows group that is local to the physical server. In that case, being in a different domain shouldn't matter at all. If, however, there were other Windows logins, the answer is it depends. If you're still using the Windows users and groups from the other domain, then everything is great. If not, if you're migrating domains, you'll probably need to create new logins corresponding to the new domain.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply