migrate package siis from 2008 to 2107

• good evening

I need to migrate packages ssis 2008 to 2017

I am looking for a method to export my packages that are on the 2008 server

on the net I find this command who has a feedback experience

USE MSDB
    SELECT 'EXEC XP_CMDSHELL ''DTUTIL /SQL ' + NAME +' /COPY FILE;
    D:\SQLDBAExperts\Packages\' + NAME+'.DTSX' + ' /QUIET''' FROM SYSSSISPACKAGES
  • Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• I have no experience at all with that command, so I can't help you there, but I think I would find it easier to pull them into Visual Studio, convert them there (making sure you select your target version), and then deploy to the new server. I'm under the impression a 2008 to 2017 conversion would have a few gotchas that would be easier to work through within the Visual Studio environment, but I've been wrong before, and at some point anticipate being wrong again.

Luther

• abdalah.mehdoini wrote:

good evening

I need to migrate packages ssis 2008 to 2017

I am looking for a method to export my packages that are on the 2008 server

on the net I find this command who has a feedback experience

USE MSDB
    SELECT 'EXEC XP_CMDSHELL ''DTUTIL /SQL ' + NAME +' /COPY FILE;
    D:\SQLDBAExperts\Packages\' + NAME+'.DTSX' + ' /QUIET''' FROM SYSSSISPACKAGES

I don't know a thing about SSIS migrations except that I'm very happy that I don't have to get involved with them at all.

On the command, though, that code will create code that you need to copy and run separately.  I don't know if the structure of the DTUTIL command is correct but it looks reasonable.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hi,

here what I did in ssis packages migration from 2008 to 2016 (I think it's the same for 2017):

• created an empty catalog (SSISDB) on MS SQL 2016
    • MS SQL 2008: with SSMS 2008 I connected to Integration Services and I exported packages in MSDB to a file
    • MS SQL 2016: with SSMS 2016 I imported the SSIS packages - previously exported from ms sql 2008 - inside the catalog  (during the import SSMS automatically converts them to 2016 ).

However I had only few packages to export/import, maybe this is not the best solution to follow if you have a lot of packages to migrate.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  elenad80.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply