Migrate from sql server 2005 to 20008

• Hi!

If i want to migrate from sql server express 2005 to sql server 2008, how can i do that?

And if i have some clients with my software already with sql server express 2005? Would that be a problem?

The created scripts for sql server 2005 are all compatible with 2008?

Thanks, best regards!

• First of All ...BACKUP everything that you have in SQL Server Express 2005.

After that, you can leave installed the SQL Server Express, and starting installation then migration to SQL Server 2008. Migration can be in many ways...Attaching/Detaching databases; Scripting Objects, Users, Schemes, UDFs etc; Backup then Restore etc.

Warning: be sure that if you restore databases from SQL Server Express 2005 to SQL Server 2008, your database will upgraded in SQL 2008 and you will not be able to downgrade to SQL 2005 (it is possible just with Export Import wizard and a lot of things to do and to verify after exporting/importing)!

About you application, it wouldn't be any problem I think that you will change just connection string to the database, and that's it!

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• After you move the database you need to be sure that you set the compatibility level to 10. You should also update all the statistics on the database.

The safest way to upgrade is to install the 2008 version side-by-side with the 2005 version, upgrade the databases, test them, then remove the 2005 version. You may not be able to do that on client systems, so you'll need to very carefully test the in-place upgrade method where you turn a 2005 system into a 2008 system when you run the install software.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thank you a lot! I will follow what you said! 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply