Migrate custom user data types?

• I have a script to create a database and its tables from an application, but the table columns are all custom data types. In SSMS I can go to 'ServerName|Databases|DatabaseName|Programmability|Types|User-Defined Data Types', right-click on each custom data type, and select 'Script User-Defined Data Type as|CREATE TO|Clipboard', and paste it into a script, one at a time. Repeat this a couple thousand times, and I should be done by 2019 or so...

Is there a faster way to copy just the user-defined data types (other than backing up and restoring the entire database)? I'm wondering if they're actually stored in a system database table somewhere that I can't find.

Thanks!

• You could use Generate Scripts

In SSMS, right click on the database

Select Tasks -> Generate Scripts

From here you can select specific database objects

User-Defined Data Types is an option

Does that help?

- Damian

• Yes, it helps. Sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees...

I was trying much too hard, and wrote the following script. It needs a little work for weird data types like image or xml, but this got me most of the way there. Now that you showed me the Generate Scripts option, I may never bother finishing it, but here's what I wrote if it helps anyone else. Change the table names at the bottom, execute it, and copy the result to another query editor window:

[font="Courier New"]

SELECT DISTINCT 'CREATE TYPE [dbo].[' + udt.name + '] FROM [' + sdt.name + ']' +

CASE

WHEN udt.collation_name IS NOT NULL AND udt.max_length >= 0 -- character types...

THEN '(' + CAST(udt.max_length/2 AS NVARCHAR) + ')'

WHEN udt.collation_name IS NOT NULL AND udt.max_length = -1 -- nvarchar(max)...

THEN '(max)'

WHEN sdt.system_type_id IN (165) AND udt.max_length = -1 -- varbinary(max)...

THEN '(max)'

WHEN sdt.system_type_id IN(60,106,108,122)

THEN '(' + CAST(c.precision AS NVARCHAR) -- numeric types...

+ ',' + CAST(c.scale AS NVARCHAR) + ')'

ELSE ''

END

+ ' NULL;'

FROM sys.columns c

INNER JOIN sys.types udt ON c.user_type_id = udt.user_type_id

INNER JOIN sys.types sdt ON udt.system_type_id = sdt.user_type_id

WHERE udt.is_user_defined = 1

AND c.object_id IN ( SELECT o.object_id

FROM sys.objects o

WHERE o.name IN ('TableName1'

, 'TableName2'

, 'TableName...'

, 'TableNameN')

AND o.type = 'U');

GO[/font]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply