Mid-level or Sr?

• I expect there are a lot of differing opinions out there and job description plays a role. Talking real world here - not certification requirements. Mainly I am looking at Warehouse/BI space but DBA/OLTP descriptions are welcome.

If someone asked you or you were asking someone, how would you describe the skills needed to be a sr vs mid level? For example, does a modeler need to have OLTP and Dimensional modeling experience to be sr? Does a sr developer need to know all there is to know about admin even if they don't ever do backups (I see this all the time)?

SQL Coding

Modeling

SSIS/DTS

SSAS

Tuning and Performance

Administration

SSRS

Why I'm asking:

Interviewers want to assess skills by component which makes sense. As a contractor/consultant you tend to develop a broad range of skills. Every company is unique in how they do things. I feel like my level is senior in the field. My broad experience means that I can pretty intelligently assess a problem and a solution. I can also put the solution in action quickly because I have enough technology expertise to devise a solution built on all my previous knowledge experience. In other words, I can narrow down the solution faster because I have probably done something similar or related. Someone with heavy SSAS development in a single environment can teach me a lot but is likely pretty light in some other area.

But they want to know your level on tuning or SSIS or whatever. SSIS is the hardest because it hasn't been around as long and best practices don't seem to be as consistent as say stored procedure coding. Plus I always seem to have a lot more knowledge about SSIS than the people I am working with. That doesn't make me a SR...Except in their eyes?

Let me know if I need to clarify more.

Thanks!

• michanne (1/18/2010)

I expect there are a lot of differing opinions out there and job description plays a role. Talking real world here - not certification requirements. Mainly I am looking at Warehouse/BI space but DBA/OLTP descriptions are welcome.

If someone asked you or you were asking someone, how would you describe the skills needed to be a sr vs mid level? For example, does a modeler need to have OLTP and Dimensional modeling experience to be sr? Does a sr developer need to know all there is to know about admin even if they don't ever do backups (I see this all the time)?

The answer to this is "It Depends." Each company will define their roles differently. When the employer defines the roles, they are also defining the desired knowledge, and they are defining the job duties. Some shops require the Sr. to do both dev and production support. Some companies separate out the duties into two groups.

Why I'm asking:

Interviewers want to assess skills by component which makes sense. As a contractor/consultant you tend to develop a broad range of skills. Every company is unique in how they do things. I feel like my level is senior in the field. My broad experience means that I can pretty intelligently assess a problem and a solution. I can also put the solution in action quickly because I have enough technology expertise to devise a solution built on all my previous knowledge experience. In other words, I can narrow down the solution faster because I have probably done something similar or related. Someone with heavy SSAS development in a single environment can teach me a lot but is likely pretty light in some other area.

But they want to know your level on tuning or SSIS or whatever. SSIS is the hardest because it hasn't been around as long and best practices don't seem to be as consistent as say stored procedure coding. Plus I always seem to have a lot more knowledge about SSIS than the people I am working with. That doesn't make me a SR...Except in their eyes?

If it would be of any benefit, be prepared to discuss a set of projects or experiences that would show your skill set, working knowledge, and team-work. Put that info on your resume. Let the employer be the judge as to how you would fit in with their team and expectations. Describe your skills honestly - a good interviewer will be able to ascertain if you know your stuff or not.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I think Mid v Sr encompasses a lot of things. However the big one is experience. Someone that is senior has more experience and has handled many situations. It's not just time, though I think time factors in. However you have to spend time working on many different projects and dealing with different requirements/problems/situations to be considered a senior.

I think a senior person also has to be mentoring and training others.

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/18/2010)

I think a senior person also has to be mentoring and training others.

I agree with this. A senior person is oftentimes also a team lead (where a team is available). Mentoring and training are very critical duties that a senior must perform.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I agree whole heartedly with Steve on mentoring/manager. Except, in the real world there is a high % that are pretty weak.

What a time saver it would be if employers where more specific with the technical requirements early on! It is common practice for them to ask you to bucket your skills when the only knowledge you have of the position is based on a description designed to generate the biggest pool of candidates. The person asking is usually HR. The detail might not be available until the third or fourth interview. Developing SSRS for reporting vs dashboard vs a client tool (i.e. report builder) are completely different activities.

When you reach mid - sr you have honed skills and become more focused than a jr. Who uses every facet of any Micro-choice software?! For that matter, who's had every drink on the Starbucks menu? :hehe:

• I would have to say that this would all depend on the company you work for.

Most companies use a specific method on how they determine what specific skill set or knowledge is needed for the particular position or level in question.

Majority of the time before you get the job you are provided with a job description as well as what skills are required to even qualify for the position.

Sr. level of wouldn’t come easy; lots of hard work and experience is some of the main things I think would make a big difference in the level.

Also I think that a Sr. level position would require knowledge of not just the position itself but knowledge of every level of that position just in case your asked to train other employees or do things that are not within your normal job description.

That being said, here is the real proble, or challenge:

IT Firms don't pay a lot of credence to your past positions. In other words, even if you have heavy OLTP experience and SQL Coding skills, if they are looking for SSIS, and you are also not heavy in SSIS, they will pass on you, almos as if you all your other experience don't matter ...

There are some companies that will assess you based on the depth of exposure in a product like SQL Server versus narrow expertise in an area like SSIS only. But that percentge seems to be getting smaller as companies are more anmd more after the narrow set of skills they assume are required for a posting ... it is a crazy world, do you agree?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply