Microsoft Security Bulletin MS09-004

• Hi does it affect MS SQL 2000 beside sp4 since it does not state that other MS SQL 2000 are affected or not affected.

just need some clarification..

thanks in advance.

• Yes.

I had asked similar question from MS; and was told it is "recommended" you install this. But in order for you to install this you have to upgrade SQL Server Service pack on the server in question to SP4 before this security bulletin can be installed.

Also note this security issue is affected by SQL Injection attacks; so if your risk of SQL Injection is low then this is not as big an issue to you.

Thanks.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• am i right?

before i can patch this sql vulnerability(KB960082) i need to first update my sp from sp3 - sp4

sorry bu i havent tried patching sql before..

i have MS SQL 2000 - 8.00.760

thanks in advance..

• Yeap your right ..

If you go to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS09-004.mspx, and scroll down fair bit you'll find "FAQ" section.

Expand that in there it lists the patch to install for SQL Server 2000. And if you notice the lowest version is 8.00.2039 which is SP4. So in order to install this security update you must upgrade your SQL Server to SP4 first.

Thanks.

Mohit.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply