Microsoft Query (Excel) not recognising Alias

• Does anybody know why, Microsoft Query under windows XP fails to recognise the "AS" alias within the sql statement.

Im renaming fields so that when I export the result set to excel in a pivot table, I simply drag and drop the field name, (however my coding is showing up as the field name instead)

Microsoft Query is ignoring my AS Statement

For example:

select c.client_no,

decode(c.given_names,null,c.agency_name_surname||decode(c.section,null,'',', '||c.section),ltrim(c.title||' '||c.given_names||' '||c.agency_name_surname)) as Client_Name

from clients c

where c.parent_client = 'CLC'

or c.agency_name_surname like ('%COMMUNITY%')

order by c.client_no;

Therefore my field name with the pivot table is showing up as:

decode(c.given_names,null,c.agency_name_surname||decode(c.section,null,'',', '||c.section),ltrim(c.title||' '||c.given_names||' '||c.agency_name_surname))

• Have you tried encapsulating the AS in [] or '' i.e. [Client_Name] or 'Client_Name'?

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• select c.client_no,

Client_Name = decode(c.given_names,null,c.agency_name_surname||decode(c.section,null,'',', '||c.section),ltrim(c.title||' '||c.given_names||' '||c.agency_name_surname))

from clients c

where c.parent_client = 'CLC'

or c.agency_name_surname like ('%COMMUNITY%')

order by c.client_no;

The excel I last used 6 months ago did not support as alias, but did support alias =

Tim S

• Thanks guys for your suggestions, however it is still not working. I dont know if it is an install issue or not!

We have recently migrated to Windows XP and were previously on Windows NT where the problem didnt exist.

For example:

The simple SQL statement below yields the following Error.  However if I put a ; at the end of the script, it runs and doesn't produce an error, but it drops the alias.

• is DECODE an Oracle command? should you not be using CASE ? OR am I missing something obvious?

Dave J

http://glossopian.co.uk/
    "I don't know what I don't know."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply