Merging two fields together

• I have two fields from an AS400 which i want to merge when i extract the data using Data Transformation. The first field contains a Customer name and the second field contains a Form Type.

Example:

CUST FORM

Walmart INV

Inv meaning Invoice....but you knew that....

What i need to do is join these two fields together like this

Example:

NEWFIELD

Walmart -INV

How would i do this in SQL. i know how to do it in Access but in SQL it baffles me.

Any Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank You

• Cust + Form

• select CUST + ' - ' + FORM as NEWFIELD from dbo.DataBase

• sorry for misprint:

select CUST + ' - ' + FORM as NEWFIELD from dbo.TableName

• Sorry, but 1 more question. As you can tell im very new to this. Im getting an error message.

SELECT HQCUST + ' -' + HQDADD AS HQCFLD,

AIMPDTA.HQANALLA.*

FROM AIMPDTA.HQANALLA

This is my code above.

The error message i get is: "Query Designer encountered a MS Design Tools Error: ADO error [IBM][Client Access Express ODBC Driver (32-Bit)][DB2/400 SQL] SQL0402 - + use not valid.

Also from the code above you can probably see that i am incorporating all fields from the table HQANALLA. How would i incorporate all fields plus add the concatenated field as well

HELP!!

• It has been a long time since I had to do any DB2 work, but the solution you may need to use here is to get the records into some temp table on SQL, then, place the records in your final table doing the Field1 + ' - ' + Field2

-- Cory

• This is just a thought but since you're getting an MS ADO error that the concatenation operator '+' is invalid have you tried the standard MS concatenation operator '&' in it's place?

Yes I know it's not Sql but it is MicroSoft and everybody got to love Microsoft.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply