Merge Replication using excessive bandwidth

• I'm wondering if anyone has come across something like this. I've got a SQL 2008R2 Std database with merge replication to multiple SQL 2008R2 Express servers. The network to one of the subscribers is showing much higher network traffic coming from the subscriber, even though no updates are being done on the subscriber. The traffic is definitely related to the replication process as it drops off as soon as I stop synchronizing to the subscriber, and picks up when I restart it.

The same set of scripts has been used to configure all subscribers and no filters have been applied. This is a significant issue as the VPN is almost always via an expensive satellite link. At the moment I'm over a 4G link, so I dropped, recreated and reinitialized the subscription. I can see that the databases are synchronised and only changes at the publisher are being downloaded, but the upload bandwidth usage is still an issue. The network engineer has also confirmed that the traffic is related to the SQL Server Service.

This also seems to be new behaviour as traffic appears to have been normal until about 3 weeks ago. I've made no changes to the replication since it was configured, and the sys admin has assured me there have been no system changes.

Any ideas what could be causing this since there are no updates happening on the subscriber at the moment?

Desperate for an idea on this.

Leo

Leo
    Nothing in life is ever so complicated that with a little work it can't be made more complicated.

• Replication can be chatty and will consume significant bandwidth. With Merge Replication, even if no updates occur at the Publisher or Subscriber(s), the Merge Agent will produce traffic if it is synchronizing.

If no updates are occurring, you may want to consider changing your synchronization schedule. Are you currently synchronizing the Merge Agent continuously, or on a schedule?

We can also reduce the "chattiness" some by setting the Merge Agent parameters -HistoryVerboseLevel and -OutputVerboseLevel to 0.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply