Mercenary

• But are the changes that provide satisfaction generic? Meaning that any type of application/industry/changes provide some fulfillment? Or is there something special about your app?

Steve,

My current job has been the most fulfilling. In the past, most of the jobs were dealing with either financial, reporting, incentive and other non-tangible items. My end users were usually project and program managers.

The current job is dealing with real items that I can touch in a warehouse environment with users, who are very smart, but not very technical.

I had to stretch technically to get up to speed on the technology we are using as well as polish up the soft skills to be able to communicate with a diverse group of users. I learned really quickly how well or not so well my programs were performing by being able to go into the warehouse and do the work my end users do on a daily basis. By my users seeing me out there with them, doing the jobs they do and experiencing the challenges they run into has really been beneficial in gaining their trust and feedback.

Anton

• I've been in the middle of it all at some point. I've had projects that drained the life out of me and the projects that excited me more with every day that I worked on them. My earlier development efforts brought me to the point in life where I can now choose the how and what I like to work on. Having never had those experiences (good and bad), I would not be the developer/DBA I am today and I may be "stuck" in a job/company I hate.

I am also not willing to sacrifice my financial outlook to work on more altruistic programs. I like many have worked hard to get where I am and I wish to maintain that lifestyle However, my degree of success has given me the flexibility to contribute and give back to my local community. I feel so long as I can continue to provide well for my family and make a difference to the people around me, I am a success.

There are good projects and bad projects. The key is to take something away from the project once it's done.

• When I was young I helped develop an accounting package that is still used today, decades later. I've also been fortunate to work in the medical industry and have seen how my computer work has improved people's lives even if indirectly. As I look back over my many years I believe I was more passionate in my work when I was younger than I am today.

• I work in BI for children's social care.  I guess it's satisfying to think that the data we report enables manager to direct social care resources to achieve the best outcomes for some of the most vulnerable people in our society.

But you know what?  In all honesty I enjoyed working in the manufacturing sector just as much.  For me I think it's learning the technologies and the technical challenges. 

I can't even say it's the money, I earn peanuts now!!

• At the beginning of my career I worked for the major non profit, whose goal was to improve women's health in poorest countries all around the world. Yes, I was actually proud of many applications I designed and implemented by myself, and especially "Maternal health monitoring and reporting" system!

Next was a job at the international bank, and again I was proud, since one of the main system we designed was really appreciated and loved by everyone at the bank. It combined the data from various sources to give the complete overview of the customer's financial information and saved a lot of time for the bank's employees, who did it manually for years!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Buy experiences, not things

• The thing is, folks in IT are often far removed from the fruits of their labor. A job working for the world's largest eCommerce company versus working for a bank, hospital, government agency, or private non-profit can all look and feel the same if deliverables are measured in terms of software and database servers.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply