Memory Utilization of individual db instances of a DB server

• Hi,

Could anyone let me know how to monitor memory utilization of individual database instances of database server. I have sql server 2000 and having 4 different databases in the same database server

Regards,

SAM

• I do not aware of something at database level.

Also you can post the same in SQL server 2000 forum for a quick response as the question is on SQL server 2000

• No need to repost, I have asked the mod to move this thread.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi Gail,

Thanks for the same.

Even our team is working on for SQL 2005 and 2008. So, it will be helpful if somebody can tell me how monitor the memory utilization in individual databases

Regards,

SAM

• Ok, now I'm confused. SQL 2000 as in your first post or 2005 and 2008 as in your second?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• sashikanta.mishra (4/28/2011)

Hi Gail,

Thanks for the same.

Even our team is working on for SQL 2005 and 2008. So, it will be helpful if somebody can tell me how monitor the memory utilization in individual databases

Regards,

SAM

I use this sql...

With Instance_DBs (Database_Name, PagesInRAM)

As

(SELECT LEFT(CASE database_id

WHEN 32767 THEN 'ResourceDb'

ELSE db_name(database_id)

END, 20) AS Database_Name,

Count(*)AS Buffered_Page_Count

FROM sys.dm_os_buffer_descriptors

GROUP BY db_name(database_id) ,

database_id)

SelectDatabase_Name,PagesInRAM,

Cast(PagesInRAM*8 As decimal(14,2)) as KB,

Cast(Cast(PagesInRAM*8 As decimal(14,2))/1024 As Decimal(14,2)) as MB,

Cast(Cast(PagesInRAM*8 As decimal(14,2))/1024 As Decimal(14,2))/1024 as GB

FromInstance_DBs

ORDER BY GB DESC,Database_Name ASC

Regards
    Brian Ellul
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate, and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination.
    - Albert Einstein -

• @ Gail : We have different applications which are running on SQL 2000, 2005 & 2008. And for each databases i wanted to check the Mem utilization of individual Dbs.

@Brian : Thanks for the same. It gives me the result of memory pages. But this will not let me know whether my database is actually using the memory. Again will this help me know the paged ans non-paged memory. Is there any way to find out the actual memory usage of my database in my db server.

And for SQL2000 i can not use it as DM schemas are in SQL 2005 onwards.

Thanks Anyway. And i would like to know more on this. If anybody can help me.

Regards,

SAM

• sashikanta.mishra (4/28/2011)

@Brian : Thanks for the same. It gives me the result of memory pages. But this will not let me know whether my database is actually using the memory. Again will this help me know the paged ans non-paged memory. Is there any way to find out the actual memory usage of my database in my db server.

That's exactly what Brian's query is showing you, the amount of the data cache used by each database.

That's the only part of SQL's memory where you can make a distinction as to one DB or the other.

Gail Shaw

• Ok. So i can not fetch each individual memory utilization of databases from my multiple host database server

Regards,

SAM

• SQL manages memory at an instance level, not at a database level.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply