Memory Size and Number of CPUs

• Does anyone have the information handy?

In an SQL Server, how to determine the memory size and number of CPUs?

Say, I have an SQL Server with 16 CPUs, how much memory should the server have?

• According to me it always depends on size/no of databases hosted on the box. Data flow, I/O, no of users etc etc. in this case if your server is having 16 CPU then it seems you are having good recourses and expecting height usage. To prevent performance problem it should have at least 16 gig ram, although there is no hard and fast route.

Lets see what other expert says 🙂

Cheers,

DG

• As far as I understand, it is an issue that we would like to have either abig horse (powerful CPU) to pull a small cart (memory,load) or a small horse to pull a big cart.

Normally, we need memory between 8 GB to 32 GB depending our application. But I would like to confirm my statement from others.

Any input is greatly appreciated in advance.

Any resource is also greatly appreciated in advance.

• The number of CPU's and the amount of memory are two different resources determined by different factors. They often have little correlation to each other.

• you would be wise to furnish sql server with more memory rather than CPU. High CPU count will raise the software costs too 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• As stated by Micheal - you are trying to compare two items with no real correlation. In reality it should ultimately be determined by what you intend the server to be utilized for and how your application interacts with the underlying database; in addition to factors such as: are you utilizing CLR, Service Broker, SSRS, etc... A generic answer could not be provided based on the information

• adding to the above discussion:

Since you mentioned Server is 16 CPU. so you must be having a Heavy load on the BOX and are you running 32x or 64x. is this a itanium Box.

to Work along the Lines of 16 CPU's there must be adequate memory to go along with it. you cannot run 16 CPU on 4GB or 2GB. right, so you must be going with the adequate amount of memory.. something like 32GB. It agian Depends as you mentioned running horses with big or smaller loads.. If you do not Specify, whct kind a work you are up on this BOX, how can we Energize our Wild Thoughts and Speculate in the DARK. you must have though about getting the 16 CPU Box, because you must be having something BIG going on your performance/DB Side.

Pl Post the complete Picture, if you want some Spotfree answers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply