Memory problems

• Dear All.

We have the ssas cube server was setup; the server has been very sluggish. Under the Task Manager for the server the physical memory has been at about 99% for most of the time. On a few occasions it got so slow that we resorted to restarting the machine. This seemed to get things faster but when I opened up the task manager again, I noticed that the RAM taken up started at about 4GBs and steadily climbed back up to the 32GBs that are in the machine. When I looked at the processes it seems that sqlservr.exe is taking up about 22GBs, and when I matched up the PID with the instance I noticed it was the process that was servicing the localserver instance of SQL server.

I restarted the sqlservr.exe process and the physical memory went from 99% to about 36%, it stayed there for some time but eventually started climbing up again, and currently it is at 88%.

The above problem I am not able to detect and any reccomendations highly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Set Max Server Memory for the SQL Server instance.

• I'm facing the same challenge, ie. how to best allocate resources in a new server that will be hosting both an SSAS instance and the associated relational data-warehouse db engine.

I just stumbled across this link which seems promising in addressing these concerns:

http://sqlcat.com/technicalnotes/archive/2010/02/08/microsoft-sql-server-2008-analysis-services-consolidation-best-practices.aspx

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• SQL is a resource pig, it will grab resources (especially memory) and not let go. If you are running 64bit SQL servers, you will need a minimum of 5GBs of memory taken away from SQL (by setting the MAX memory - as above) which allows the OS to function appropriately.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply