Memory and Hardware requirement

• Can any one tell me what would be an ideal requirement. Our Source DB size is around 30GB...so its not a huge my feeling is DW size will be roughly 2 times..If SSIS, SQL, Analysis Server all run on the same box...how much memory is needed..They gave us a machine with 1GB Ram...and that machine slows down a lot when some one creates and runs a report(we are still in dev stage). SQL uses up 80%  memory..Is there any configuration that we need to change...I am new to SQL 2005..I've been working on SQL since 6.5..

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sreejith

• Hi

There are quite a few things to be looked at for getting the hardware specifications right. you would be best served if u go though different sites giving out this information (this site is one of them).

Since you specifically mentioned memory it would be better if you can get more memory atleast 2 GB or more. As a general rule try to get as much memory as possible on to your box.

"Keep Trying"

• 1. Remember that SQL 2k5 uses TempDB MUCH more than prior versions. 2. Maximum number of simultaneous connections, minimum uptime percentage - 90%? 95%? 98%? 99%? 99.5%? 99.9%?

3. Ensure that you are providing for adequate disk storage. Not only total storage, but also number of spindles - should you choose to spread out the permanent tables, transaction logs, temporary DB, etc etc etc. Lots of good threads on the forums here. (forum farm?)

4. Carefully define how you will do backups - especially when considering networks.

5. Watch your pricing strategy on licenses - CAL vs processor. There are tricks in the trade-offs you need to know.

There are lots more considerations, so good luck and have fun doing your 'homework'. When you have a preliminary proposal, perhaps you'll want to share it with us here, for a friendly critique?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply