Memory

• DugyC (5/24/2011)

I'm not at all knowledgeable in the subject, but from reading this it appears to me that they are quite different.

"Plan Cache" is used to cache the compiled plans in case of reuse opportunities.

Whereas "Procedure Cache" is used to store the execution plans, as per the original question.

Nope. Compiled plans are execution plans. The area of memory where plans are stored used to be called the procedure cache, it's now called the plan cache. They are not distinct areas of memory storing different things, they're two names for the same thing.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • What is the difference between query plans and compiled batch plans?

Thanks

• forsqlserver (5/24/2011)

What is the difference between query plans and compiled batch plans?

"query plans" includes compiled stored procedure plans as well as compiled batch plans.

Tom

• DugyC (5/24/2011)

SanDroid (5/23/2011)

GilaMonster (5/23/2011)

It's more correctly called the 'plan cache' these days.......

After reading this post I went to MSDN online and pasted into the search tool....

So apparently not only does M$ agree with Gails statement, they have documented "Plan cache" and "prcodure cache" are the same and why "Plan Cache" is the perfered use in any new documentation.

I'm not at all knowledgeable in the subject, but from reading this it appears to me that they are quite different.

"Plan Cache" is used to cache the compiled plans in case of reuse opportunities.

Whereas "Procedure Cache" is used to store the execution plans, as per the original question.

Just taken from my simpleton viewpoint. ๐Ÿ™‚

In plain english M$ states on MSDN and TechNet online

"Plan cache" is more accurate (than Procedure Cache) because the plan cache stores query plans of more than just the stored procedures.

Not certain how that sentence can create your conclusion that they are differant things or that "Procedure Cache" is not the same thing as "Plan Cache".

• Thanks Tom...Gila..and all...

Thanks

• GilaMonster (5/23/2011)

It's more correctly called the 'plan cache' these days. It used to be called the procedure cache, but since it doesn't just store the plans of procedures, the name has changed (though not all documentation is consistent yet)

I agree with you, there are other execution plans that are not from procedures, and thats why they/we call it the plan cache. And thats why I lost a point ๐Ÿ™‚

/Hรฅkan Winther
    MCITP:Database Developer 2008
    MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
    MCSE: Data Platform

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply