Media/Cost considerations for 2008R2 upgrade...

• 2 Quickies gang...

I've got a dedicated machine with SQL 2005 on it. I love 2008R2 and want to move to it.

1) What *media* do I need to get 2008R2 installed? (IOW, what's the name of the sofware package that will do this for me?)

2) What should I expect to pay (we don't have any upgrade insurance).

3) Is it considered *kosher* to have SSRS reports being served through IIS *on the same machine* as our SQL 2008R2 server? Performance is NOT an issue here, I'm just asking about feasibility of running them in parallel... Does anyone have this in production right now?

We're on a shoestring budget. THANK YOU!

• Greg J (9/6/2011)

2 Quickies gang...

I've got a dedicated machine with SQL 2005 on it. I love 2008R2 and want to move to it.

1) What *media* do I need to get 2008R2 installed? (IOW, what's the name of the sofware package that will do this for me?)

SQL 2008 R2 is the name of the media

2) What should I expect to pay (we don't have any upgrade insurance).

Depends on what edition you are looking to install (e.g. standard or enterprise)

You would need to check here as a starter:

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/get-sql-server/how-to-buy.aspx

3) Is it considered *kosher* to have SSRS reports being served through IIS *on the same machine* as our SQL 2008R2 server? Performance is NOT an issue here, I'm just asking about feasibility of running them in parallel... Does anyone have this in production right now?

SQL 2008 no longer requires IIS be installed for SSRS. You can have SSRS on the same box as your SQL database. However if you have high volume on your reports, you should split it out.

We have run SSRS on the same box in the past.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thanks Jason. Please clarify one thing though... All the sofware I see is for "ground up" installs. I'd like to parlay my existing license into an upgrade to 2008R2 so I can dodge the $6K pricetag.

Is this possible?

Greg

• unless you have software assurance you cannot do that. you have to buy a license as if it was a new install.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply