Mearge replication process details needed

• Hi,

I need to implement merge replication on sql server 2000 across different servers. We have a production server and a failover prod server setup on windowsNT machines in different locations. We need to setup the failover server to take up the load during peak times and also act as a standby if the production server goes down. We are located on a different location from these 2 servers. Also, i need to know how to change the sql server agent/ services from local to domain account. I am assuming the production server to be the publiser and the failover to be the subscriber, is this correct?. we need the subscriber also to update the publisher with latest information, so would this mean this to be a bidirectional merge or a normal merge?

Also which is the distributor here?

It would be of great help if somebody could take time to guide me through this process since it is my first time.

Thanks

ST

• Don't know anything about merge replication, sorry. But to change SQL server to run with a domain account :

In Enterprise Manager right click on the server

select Properties

on the Security tab enter the domain account in the 'start and run SQL server in the following account' settings. Enter the account as domain\userID.

You can also do it using the windows administration tools - services program (on the server): double click on SQLSERVERAGENT and MSSQLSERVER (and possibly Distributed Transaction coordinator if you are using it) in turn and go to the LOG ON tab. Change the account to log the service on with.

Note, the change doesn't take affect until SQL server is stopped and started. You should choose a domain account that does not have its password changed. Otherwise you should make sure the person who changes the password remembers to change the password in SQL Server also.

Regards

Peter

• I started working with merge replication a couple months ago and I am still working through some things. A good article that gave me a start was this one. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/books/c09ppcsq.mspx

Also a lesson I learned the hard way was when you do merge replication let the publisher push out all the tables, stored procedures, etc. to the subscriber in the beginning. I initially had tables already in the subscriber database and couldn't get the changes at the subscriber to update properly to the publisher database because of this. good luck

Keith

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply