MDW access issue

• Hi. At work we've been given the task of updating an Access 97 based database. The database was set up to use an MDW file with a custom name (i.e. not System.mdw). The mdw file has five levels of access, with varying amounts of privilege attached to them. The standard Access 'Users' and 'Admins' groups have been disabled, I believe so that only approved users can access the database.

The top level of access is 'Admin'. As I have worked on this database in the past, I am a member of all groups, including 'Admin'. However, when attempting to open the MDW file using Access 97, I get an error message displayed on screen, which states that I do not have permission to open the file, or something along those lines.

Another member of the team, who does not have the same level of access, can open the file and view the structure, the table (Although this does not display any data), and the queries. He can even run the queries, and by doing so, can see which users belong to which groups, which group a particular user belongs to, and so on.

What I don't understand is why I don't have the same, or even improved access to the MDW?

The overall aim is to get the other team member full access to the database so that he can perform the development work on it. Ideally we would like to import the database into SQL Server, etc. The database is set up so that (As long as there are no other users in it) an Admin user can set the rights for another user. So my plan is to update the other team members rights when I get into work monday morning. I'm hoping that this will add him to the remaining groups in the MDW file, and he will then be able to proceed. Doesn't help with my issue with the MDW file though...

• Yechh. I remember tearing my hair out over MDW's.

Anyway, the most important thing is: who (as in which user) is the Owner of the database ?

You should be able to see this in the permissions screen in Tools > Security > User and Group Permissions. 'Change Owner' tab, Object Type: Database

That can cause all kindsa problems.

• We did manage to get around this problem in the end. For reference, an admin user logged into the database (Using shift to get into the actual system) and then went via Tools -> Security -> User and Group Accounts. Using this we were able to select my co-worker and then add him to the remaining groups so he had full access to the database, and was then able to start the new development work. I’d attempted to update his access using the method built into the database, but this did not set up Admin level access. This time we’ll make sure that this is documented – it’s a straight forward step once you know how to do it, but was not recorded anywhere in any of the database documents…

I realise that this may not be much help to other people with a similar problem as it all depends on how the databases are set up, etc. but I thought it might be useful to someone.

I still cannot open the MDW as a database (i.e. via Access 97) as I’d read about elsewhere online. However, now the immediate problem has passed I guess it’s no longer a priority.

Thanks for the input Ben - I did go back and check the ownership as you suggested. That may be something we need to return to in the future.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply