MCITP without MCTS Certification

• Hi,

I'm just wondering if you could register and take MCITP exam and skip MCTS?

i.e. Take MCITP 70-451 SQL Server 2008 Database Development without taking 70-433 SQL Server 2008 Database Development.

I just took 70-448 exam yesterday and passed with 952. The questions were pretty uniform between ssis, ssrs and ssas and seem sequenced randomly. I got 47 questions in total (I previously thought 50, so it mean the number of question vary). After the exam, I felt numb and cant really recall the questions asked because of the question mixture.

I've been working with SQL since 6.5, and got 4 years experience developing BI solutions. I bought Microsoft SQL Server 2008 - Business Intelligence Development and Maintenance self-paced training kit and read this book for a month in preparation of the exam for a month to supplement my hands-on experience. I found that most questions are pretty straight to the point and should be alright if you have hands-on experience, but the book covers "niche" areas that you might not be working on. i.e. data mining which I've never worked on

As usual, I was reading a lot of other materials (not for exam, but hope it was asked in exam) but didnt. But I guess passing an exam doesnt translate you to be an "expert". There are always something out there to learn. I look forward to take MCITP 70-452 next year.

My company has a sudden change in job requirement. Certain role now requires to be certified. i.e. DBA requires full set of MCTS, Solutions Designer requires MCTS and MCITP.

Simon

Simon Liew
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008

• Simon-413722 (10/21/2010)

Hi,

No, MCTS is a prerequisite

Wayne
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (10/21/2010)

Simon-413722 (10/21/2010)

Hi,

No, MCTS is a prerequisite

I want to clear 70-431 - Microsoft.SQL.Server.2005.Implementation.and.Maintenance in next month but I heard that because of SQL Server 2008 is in market (2010 is also on the way), it is of no use & need to clear 70-432.

Is it right?

Thanks

• Thanks for reply. I guess there's no quick way to obtain MCITP.

Its definitely more worthwhile to take sql 2008 which now companies are also starting to take on SQL 2008 more widely. My company would also require us to take SQL 2005\2008 set of certification, but sooner or later SQL 2008 would be the new certification set. To save time and effort, I'd really be recommending to take SQL 2008 exams instead of SQL 2005 because all SQL 2008 exams are out there and available. SQL 2005 exams have been around for quite a number of year already (at least 4 years).

Simon Liew

• You can take the MCITP exams without writing the MCTS (I did for one) but you won't have the certification until you also write and pass the MCTS.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hmmm...that's interesting, Gail. What would be the point of that scenario -- sitting the MCITP before the MCTS? Just to test your knowledge?

Thanks...Chris

• CGSJohnson (9/30/2011)

Hmmm...that's interesting, Gail. What would be the point of that scenario -- sitting the MCITP before the MCTS?

I did it because I got beta invites for the MCITP exams, but not the MCTS. So I wrote one of the MCITP exams (as betas) several months before the MCTS.

Maybe you schedule both for a week apart then something comes up and you have to reschedule the MCTS for after the MCITP. It's fine to do that because the pre-req is for the cert, not the exam.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • OK...so just logistics...I was just thinking of someone (other than you who gets BETA exam invites) just sitting the MCITP, without sitting the MCTS. Thanks for the quick reply.

- Chris

• I have passed both exams using nextcertify.com study guides and they provide comprehensive solution

• I'm currently studying hard for MCM. I took PRO: 70-451 (Designing Database Solutions and Data Access Using Microsoft SQL 2008) and passed before sitting for TS: 70-433 (Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Database Development).

So Gail is right, that wouldnt make me MCITP for SQL 2008 Dev, which I re-read MCM web site and it requires both PRO and TS to get MCITP. So, i took TS: 70-433 a week after and also pass.

Its probably for no reason why anyone would take PRO before TS, but I was thinking since I'm going for MCM, might as well make sure I can pass the PRO. I've no idea what MCM exam would look like, but i thought if i cant pass PRO, I would have no chance of passing MCM. But point is, you can take PRO before TS.

I would think MCM is one of the toughest M$ exam ever!

Simon Liew

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply