MCDBA - Which Exam?

• Hi all.

I'm one exam away from getting my MCDBA certification and I was wondering which of the OS/network exams to take.

I've got a choice between Windows 2003 Network infrastructure (70-291) and windows Server 2003 Environment (70-290)

I'm not working as a DBA at the moment, I'm a database developer focusing on monitoring, performance and large-scale database projects (archiving, distributed servers) etc. As such, I have very little exposure to either area.

I have books available for both (MS Self Paced Training Kit) but no access to courses.

Anyone got opinions or comments on these exams?

Thanks.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hello.

To simply obtain your cert, it is a coin toss.  To understand everything you will need based on the environment you are currently in, you should take both (I say this because of your mention of distributed servers).  You need to understand the Operating System on which SQL Server runs, but you will also need to understand the network in which your SQL Servers run (notice the emphasis on multiple servers)

Hope this helps.

Keith Pelchat, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA

Kindest Regards,

Keith Pelchat
    MCT, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA

• Gila Monster:

I am in the same position (I even have both study guides too!) and I'm still trying to decide myself.

I have my MCSD (not .Net) as I started as a developer before delving into the database world.  As Keith correctly points out, the intention of the networking exam for the MCDBA cert. is to ensure MCDBAs understand the underlying OS, which a true DBA should.

As for choosing which exam to take, to me it appears the 291 exam is more focused on the infrastructure, TCP/IP, and especially DNS, while 290 seems geared more towards the operational aspects, Users, Groups, etc.

If one of those areas is more appealing, or you have some background with either one, that might tip the scales.

HTH.

Dexter Jones, MCSD

• I am MCDBA with 70-215 (Windows 2000 server). I got this certification some time ago when Windows 2003 did not exist yet. I found it very helpful to be skilled in the Server area. I don't need to take 70-290 but I am preparing anyway, I am reading all I can and doing some prep tests. I have found so much useful stuff preparing for 70-290!

For example for Gila who works with monitoring, you have to know about WMIC. I am sure most of us use WMI from VBScript or SQL performance and objects from Performance Tool, but did you know about command line tool WMIC? This is so cool and easy!

Also, did you know that Windows 2003 server as opposed to Windows 2000 server allows you to map back your network drives without Citrix when useing terminal Services?

On the other hand, a database developer has very little chances to work as a network admin unless it is a very small company. But working with very large databases somewhat hints that Gila's company is not that small.

I would vote for 70-290

Yelena, MCDBA, MCSD, MCSD.NET, MCAD

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Hello, Can any MCDBA advise where someone like myself can buy good study items from - I'm a self teaching person and I'm already getting much better in SQL Queries on my work SQL Servers.  I have an MCSE for NT 4.0, but I really want to get my MCDBA.

If anyone prefers self-study - what material or courses do you recommend that work for the exam.

What company or website to buy the material?

Thank you,

Curtis Simms

MCSE, CNE, CCA, ASE, A+

• Thanks for the comments. I'm leaning towards 70-290. I'll probably do 291 at a later date.

Yelena: you're right, I don't work for a small company. I work for the corperate division of a major bank.

Curtis: I prefer self-study as I often find courses go too slowly. My usual practice is to get the MS Training kits from a local bookshop and work through them at my own speed. Seems to work for me. (919 on 70-228, around 980 on 70-229)

That's just me though and may not work well for you.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply