MCDBA

• I have recently been offered, and accepted a new job. They have kindly offered to sponsor me to complete the MCDBA.

Is there anything I need to know? Things to watch out for etc?

Many thanks,

Carl.

• Carl,

I've passed my two SQL tests for my MCDBA, and am currently working on my other two to get the cert.

If you're interested in getting other MS certs, you can have one test count for different certifications. So after these next two, I'll have an MCDBA, and will be one or two (can't remember) from getting an MCSD...

Are you asking about classes in general or ?

Lucky guy, having a company pay for it, I had to fork out the $$$ for mine myself.

-Don

• Things to watch out for = soon the MCDBA on SQL Server 2000 will be obsolete.  Once SQL Server 2005 is released, a whole new certification program will be implemented.  There will still be a need for SQL Server 2000 DBA's for many years, but your newly earned certification won't have as much "wow" factor when compared to the new SQL Server 2005 MCDBA certification.

SQL Server 2005 is likely to ship this fall (maybe September) and I would speculate that the new certification tests will be released six months after general availability.

In my opinion, now is a poor time to start the process to become either a MCDBA or MCSD (a new version of Visual Studio will ship the same time as SQL Server 2005) because at least four tests are required and by the time you pass all four the new version will be out.  I would look at some other certification program in the short term and wait until SQL Server 2005 is released to start the new MCDBA certification.  Have you looked at the Oracle OCA 10g certification?  It only requires one test and would be a good substitute in the meantime.  Good luck!

• I'm on the fence about starting a SQL Server 2000 MCDBA right now. Yes, the upgrade to 2005 is coming, but it will take MS a while to come out with new certification tests. Also, Microsoft has been better lately about offering 'upgrade' tests instead of making you retake all of the test (MCSE 2000 => MCSE 2003).

On the other hand, ther differences between SQL Server 2000 and 2005 are huge, so they may totally revamp the certification requirements.

Since I am only one test away (70-229, and I've been needing to take it for over two years) I am going to take the last test sometime soon. I never had any motivation to take the test previously - my previous job didn't value the cert.

• Thanks for all you input guys. I agree with the comments regarding SQL2005. However my new employer will not be switching tothat just yet - so isnt a problem.

Is studying + completing the 3 exams easy enough to do within 1 year?

What are thw exams like?

Thanks again,

• Carl,

I would say it depends on the test (they are all abit different), how much time you have on the software, and how much you study...

I had like 5+ years on Access, read a bunch of SQL stuff, used it abit at home and nailed both SQL tests. I don't have much network experience at all, and I am having alot of trouble with a WinServer2003 test.

Try googling for each test, you'll see what I mean about the differences. I would avoid the braindumps, alot of times the answers are all wrong and don't help much (I have been told, never been there myself).

• Hi, once you are certified on SQL 2000, you stay certified on SQL 2000. It wil never be obsolete. It is only obsolete when no one is asking for MCDBA on SQL Server 2000 professionals. That will certainly take some years from now.

Then you only need two extra exam's and you are certified on 2000 and 2005. That is a lot better then waiting and only be certified on 2005.

There are alreade courses for the update to SQL 2005 certification. I finished my MCDBA 2000 and MCSE 2000 just last july. The MSCE 2000 is sure not obsolete, I just need 2 exams to upgrade to MSCE 2003. I just need 2 exams to certify myself to MCAD.

Bottomline:

Go for it. It is for sure no waist.

• Carl,

I obtained my MCDBA about two years ago. I definitely feel it was worth it as it helped me move from a unsatisfying job to a fantastic one.

Like most DBAs, I took the two SQL Server exams first. They are tough but manageable. I then took 70-215 (Administering MS Windows 2000 Server) and 70-216 (Administering MS Windows 2000 Network Server). I found these last two harder as it was not an area that I worked with very much.  However, with proper studying, they can be passed too.

If I was to do it over again, I would focus on the more recent Windows 2003 Server for the core networking system requirement and one of the programming related elective exams, which could also be used towards the MCAD designation (if you are leaning in that direction).

I would estimate 30 - 35 hours of study per exam and you shouldn't drag it out for more than 2 months. Not everybody may agree with me but I highly recommend the use of a practice exam software (e.g. Transcender) as part of your study program.

Good luck.

• No, that is not correct.  Microsoft certifications have an expiration date that is set by Microsoft.  A MCDBA certification on SQL Server 2000 will most likely expire when the product reaches the end of the mainstream support cycle.  That date will be set for two years after the date that SQL Server 2005 becomes available.  See this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifesrvr

Also read the Microsoft certification agreement and note the section on maintaining certification:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/policies/agreement.asp

As for the possibility of an upgrade exam for current MCDBA's to get certified on SQL Server 2005, at the PASS conference last September Microsoft said they were planning a complete revamp of the MCDBA certification.  It will not use the same tests (no credit for Windows 2003 or .NET exams) and there will not be any crossover between the MCSE or MCSD certifications like there is today.  I hope they go through with these plans and make the MCDBA worthy on its own merits.

While I agree that someone who has already started certification should finish it up, I think someone who is just planning to start should consider waiting or at least know that the current MCDBA will expire in two years.

• I agree with you, sppwiz. The only thing I'm not sure about is the expiration of certs. When MS announced 'retiring' NT4, there was an uproar. IIRC, they implemented a policy of specifying what version of the OS you were certified on. In fact, My MCP transcript shows MCSE in both NT4 and Win2K. I hope they will continue this process in the future with all certifications. I'm hoping it will be something like MCDBA SQL Server 2000. MCDBA SQL Server 2005, etc.

Chris

•  

For more information, check out the MCP FAQ: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/highlights/announcefaq.asp.

(excerpt)

Historically, the MCP program has required certified individuals to meet certification upgrade requirements to remain certified. This program requirement met the needs of candidates who support organizations that were moving to the latest Microsoft technologies.

The MCP program has conducted recent customer research indicating that current IT environments and industry needs vary widely. In the past two years since Microsoft introduced the Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) track in Microsoft Windows 2000, many candidates as well as their employers expressed concerns with the MCP program’s continuing certification policy. They have clearly indicated that they manage heterogeneous IT environments and therefore need to identify skills on current as well as previous versions of the Windows platform. Furthermore, they recognize that the skills required for designing and implementing a Windows 2000 environment are significantly different from the skills required for Microsoft Windows NT 4.0; therefore, they want to be able to identify individuals certified on Windows NT 4.0 while the product is still part of their IT environment.

The certification policy change will allow the ongoing recognition of credentials for as long as they are in demand, while still providing a means to differentiate individuals who have updated their skills to the latest Microsoft technologies.

Being a leader in an industry segment means encountering problems that do not have prescribed solutions. The MCP program is designed to offer a predictable road map for identifying those technically skilled on Microsoft technologies. As well, the program continually assesses the needs of the market. The MCP program will continue to evolve according to these needs.

Microsoft values its loyal customers. It is a continual challenge to meet the needs of both the industry and individual candidates, but the MCP program is committed to maintaining that goal.

• Good information, Chris.  As far as I know, there isn't a guarantee one way or the other.  Microsoft will almost definitely set a de-certification date for SQL Server 6.5 and 7 MCDBA's once SQL Server 2005 ships.  While they did back down from forcing the Windows NT 4.0 MCSE's get re-certified, they did de-certify all Windows NT 3.51 MCSE's in 2001.

The key phrase in the FAQ is "...recognition of credentials for as long as they are in demand..." because Microsoft determines when the certification expires.

• Yep, it's definitely how long and how loudly we complain.

• Thank you very much guys... far more info than I had expected.

All very valuable to me also.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply