Maximum Capacity

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Maximum Capacity

• I think it should be acccording to OS.

OS should bring the limit on RAM as it is controller of all the resources of a System.

Simply
    hehe:

• From BOL:

[font="Tahoma"]SQL Server 2005 Workgroup Edition

[Processor Type] Pentium III-compatible processor or higher

[Processor Speed] Minimum: 600 MHz

Recommended: 1 GHz or higher

[Memory] Minimum: 512 MB

Recommended: 1 GB or more

Maximum: Operating system maximum[/font]

Now who is right? BOL? The author of the question? Both?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• According to BOL it is the Operating System Maximum

• BOL is stating the requirements for install

Whereas the MS link is stating the features and limits

I would be more likely to believe the 3Gb limit

Kev

• in fact if you check BOL at this page

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/instsql9/html/95e5e902-66f9-4ef0-a7c6-61f42d81362e.htm

(put that into the address bar of BOL)

it states again that Workgroup Edn supports a max of 3Gb.

Kev

• But if you look at

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/instsql9/html/09bcf20b-0a40-4131-907f-61479d5e4d8.htm

in BOL it reads "Operating system maximum".

To me 3GB looks more like a limit imposed by Windows 32 bit architecture on an x86 machine. Has anyone tried installing SQL 2K5 Workgroup on a 64 bit machine with a 64 bit OS and attempted to push it past 3GB? The same BOL article mentioned above says it is supported on Windows Server 2003 x64 Standard/Enterprise/Datacentre (all SP1) and Vista x64 Business/Enterprise/Ultimate through WOW64. Unfortunately I neither have the time nor the resources to try it myself. Any volunteers?

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• that url didn't work for me did you mean

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/instsql9/html/09bcf20b-0a40-4131-907f-b61479d5e4d8.htm

that's the h/w reqs for installing and running SQL, NOT the supported features - a subtle difference, but a difference.

I don't know why they would state a MAX memory for installing, but I'll do some digging......

• You are right about the URL Kev. Don't ask me how I managed to drop that "b" when copying and pasting.

And yes, you are right when you say that the page showing the HW/SW requirements for installing SQL 2K5. Indeed a subtle difference. The only reason I can think of that they state a maximum amount of RAM would be that there is a bug in the installer that causes it to crash when the machine has more than 3GB available to user processes 😛

• Here's another link that shows the 3GB limit albeit from the perspective of SBS2003 R2 Premium Edition which includes SQL Server 2005 Workgroup Edition.

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/sbs/evaluation/faq/sql2005.mspx

:unsure:

• This really isn't that hard to understand. The link posted with the question's answer is plainly obvious.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/compare-features.mspx

In the Workgroup column on the row for RAM, the limit is clearly stated at 3GB.

This has nothing to do with the OS installed on or the amount of installed memory in the system.

• jim.powers (7/3/2008)

This really isn't that hard to understand. The link posted with the question's answer is plainly obvious.

This has nothing to do with the OS installed on or the amount of installed memory in the system.

Apologies Jim, but the URL I mentioned was the top hit (actually just one of two) when I searched for "Workgroup RAM" in SQL BOL. I should have read the page more carefully before posting.

However, the link given with the answer is also a bit ambiguous, since in the 'Comments' column of the table it says "Memory limited to maximum supported by operating system".

I'll shut up now. 😉

• jim.powers (7/3/2008)

This really isn't that hard to understand. The link posted with the question's answer is plainly obvious.

You are absolutely right, the link you provided clearly states the 3GB limit! However, as many of the others already complained about, the BOL page for SQL Server 2005 clearly states for :

"SQL Server 2005 Workgroup Edition

Pentium III-compatible processor or higher

Minimum: 600 MHz

Minimum: 512 MB

Maximum: Operating system maximum"

Clearly, a conflict in which documentation link to believe!

Ron K.

"Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand." -- Martin Fowler

• Ron Kunce (7/3/2008)

jim.powers (7/3/2008)

You are absolutely right, the link you provided clearly states the 3GB limit! However, as many of the others already complained about, the BOL page for SQL Server 2005 clearly states for :

I'm having a hard time seeing the conflict. The question asked what was the maximum memory supported by SQL Servre Workgroup edition, that is 3GB. If you have a server with 1 GB RAM, and the system is slow, adding more ram will help. If you have a server with 6 GB ram, it won't use any more than 3 GB of the servers ram.

😎

• Ron Kunce (7/3/2008)

jim.powers (7/3/2008)

Ron, you're missing the point that the BOL page that states this is the hardware requirements for installation, NOT a page that states how much RAM is supported by Workgroup. If you read up the thread you will see what I mean....

I agree it is confusing, and why MS would specify a maximum amount of RAM for installation is still a mystery.....

I suppose it's like a car manufacturer saying that their vehicle could withstand a speed of 200mph without falling apart, but then saying the top speed is 130mph - the two maximums have no relation 🙂

Kev

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply