max server memory (MB) configuration in SQL 2005

• I have a server with 16 GB RAM and and 24 GB of Virtual memory.

I have added /PAE in the boot.ini and enabled AWE and configured the Max server memory (MB) as 14 GB.

So, I want to know if this configuration is fine or should I take the virtual memory into consideration while setting up the value for Max server memory (MB).

• what you have done is well and good, while setting up max memery we should not consider the virual memroy.

• I'm assuming this is a 32-bit environment? I don't believe virtual memory needs to be more than 4GB. I think some others can more clearly tell you why, but i don't think we follow 1.5 times physical memory once we hit 4GB of RAM..

CEWII

• Overview of memory dump file options for Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

Normally 1.5 times rule is required for complete memory dump in case of abnormal shutdown of machine or based on case.

Full memory dump is treated on a case by case basis, and is rarely used. In case you have to do it, you can reconfigure the pagefile on the server for the exercise. The only requirement is that you have enough free space for that possibility.

MJ

• Memory dump != Virtual memory..

They are not equivalent..

CEWII

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply