Max Memory per CORE on 64-bit W/Server 2016 Standard and SQL 2017 Enterprise

• My SQL DBA team recently inherited a newly imaged HP ProLiant DL560 Gen 10 x64-based PC w/ 1 TB of RAM and 48 CORES. Using BIOS, I had our server team reduce the # CORES from 48 to 12 to save on SQL Licensing costs -- as we are charged PER CORE. I will be installing SQL 2017 Enterprise w/ latest CU 14 (as of 2019.Apr.04)

I was warned that reducing the CORES down to 12 could impact access to the 1 TB RAM available on this 64-bit machine.

Anyone know what the MAX RAM access per CORE is on this configuration -- or have an article explaining this?

Many thanks in advance/

• This topic was modified 5 years ago by  Express12. Reason: added Standard to Windows Version
    BT
  • Can't help you with the memory, but disabling the cores in the BIOS is not apparently sufficient to reduce licensing. Create a VM and license that, or remove cores (physically).

The licensing requirement in the guide reads:

"To license a physical server, customers must license all the cores in the server."

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • AS Gail suggested, this will not work to reduce your licensing.

This server looks like it would be a great candidate for a VM host.

Are any of your servers virtualized???

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• memory available is normally based on number of processors, not cores as far as I know.

and depending on the processor model memory on this model can be higher than the 1 TB you mention (read document below)

for the server spec itself https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=a00008181enw

12 memory slots per processor

If your machine had more than 1 processor and the memory slots were full and assigned to all the processors you loose the corresponding memory.

if not all memory slots are full you can move them to the slots associated with the remaining processor.

However unless the remaining processors are physically removed from the box licensing will apply based on all processors on the box regardless of being enabled or having all cores enabled as mentioned by Gail.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply