Max Memory

• I can remember bragging about 128K! πŸ˜›

Such is progress--my mobile phone has more RAM in it than the entire hard disk capacity of my first PC back in 1993 or thereabouts. πŸ˜‰

• Nothing special on our servers -- 16Gb.

I remember writing code to try and keep it within the 64k boundary on the PC, back in the dark ages of DOS and TSR's. My haven't times changed in less than 20 years.

• I also have 16G in my lappy. HP envy model. Nice lappy but terrible secondary battery design.

As for servers, largest are 32G RAM; two of them. Most others only have 8G. Oh, don't forget the sql7 box (vendor app issues upgrading but it'll be obsolete later this year). 8G on the sql7 box, but only good ole 2G for SQL. AWE is not has happy as it is on 2000 and up. Db is over 300G. 400-500 concurrent connections.

And a bunch of smaller clients on standard edition with 2G/3G for SQL out of 4G total.

Jim

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• Our main production SQL Servers consist of:

2 Dell R900s 4 x 4 core in Active/Active cluster, Windows Server 2008, SQL 2008 SP1, 256GB each, supporting

~400 databases totaling 3.5TB.

2 new Dell R910s with 4 x 6 core in Active/Active cluster, Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL 2008 SP2, 512GB each, tempDB on RAMDisk, to offload existing cluster and for growth.

• And to think we ran a company of 120+ employees and 7 terminals on a PDP-11/34a with 128KB of memory. And before the 11/34a it was a PDP-8E with 8KB of 12 bit ferrite ring core.

Sure wish the performance of my paycheck had improved the way that hardware has over the past 30 years...

• mcvilbar (3/11/2011)

In our company, we're using 4 node with 4x8 cores CPUs and 128GB RAM as of now, since we used the G7 blade servers that is upgradable to 1TB of memory.:-D

[drool]:w00t:[/drool]

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• That reminds me of a Microsoft Article and Hotfix:

[font="Times New Roman"]Windows Server 2008 R2 cannot be installed or started on a computer that has 1 TB or more of RAM[/font]

Strangely, it is our DEV server that has the more RAM around here. It runs three SQL instances along with multiple virtual servers. Even with 32Gb, SQL memory pressure is important... but it is a DEV server.

• We run 128 GB on our big DW SQL server

• 74 GB RAM 4 quad core. DB is 700 GB with 650 concurrent users.

• 128 GB RAM is the max on any of my machines. I run 7 instances on that particular box, with all of the instances mirroring to the HA box, which also has 128 GB RAM.

• SQL Server 2008 32 GB Dedicated VM

Storage Server 96 GB

HPC - 16 node x 108 GB (96 GB system + 12 GB on FireGL cards)

HPC2 - 16 node x 102 GB (96 GB system + 6 GB on FireGL cards)

I run more memory than I need but it is better to be prepared for everything than be caught off guard and have to do an upgrade in a rush. My particular area of business is getting pinched though as more and more people are willing to push their data processing to larger cloud services.

I still manage to maintain a moderate clientel who prefer greater security and accountability.

Aaron Hall
    IT Infrastructure Consultant

Nothing is more confounding than a DBA that uses bureaucracy as a means to inflate his power. Ever try to get an index added to a government run SQL server and you'll know what I mean.

• 256 GB

David

@SQLTentmaker

β€œHe is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Our #1 server is a file and db server for approximately 450 db-driven websites. Sql 2000 on a Win2003 Web edition, maxed at 2GB memory.

Our new file/db server which will be running for our asp.net sites is Win2008, Sql2008, with 24GB of RAM.

Neither system is a webserver, just the db and files for them

Director of Transmogrification Services
  • We have a cluster with 64GB of RAM hosting over 80 databases. The largest is a 320GB Dynamics AX database.

• Looks like 512GB right now is the high response. My friend had 1TB in a server, and was considering moving to 2TB as data sizes grow

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply