Mastery – Repetition, Variations, and Depth

• I use to keep a notebook of the really odd things I have run into. Have never blogged, probably should, but have been a problem solver for years.

I find that solving a problem is valuable no matter if you do the thing one time or many. The effort is not wasted if it is done only one time, and it is not always extremely significant if it is done a hundred time. What matters is that it is done and it is right.

What is very important is sharing the information as to how it is solved with others.

Enter Grump mode - What really gets me going is that someone posts a problem that later I have. The define the problem exactly and have a conversation with three or four others who suggest a resolution. Then the post this "I found it and fixed it. Thanks for the help..." And they do not post how they fixed it. Really a bummer as we use to say...

Leave Grump mode...

Have a great day and thanks for the good editorial.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• I think the writing down whether it's blogging or whatever is critical to getting that grain of knowledge into long term memory (and by grain I mean remembering you did it and how to find it, not necessarily how to do it). At work we started using Confluence as our internal Wiki. It's been about a month and it's been pretty good. It's not free though 10 users is only 10 dollars.

I will say it's very hard to become a 'master' anymore. I am spread so thin at work that I am no longer the master of anything except our ERP system. And I certainly have little desire to spend hours at home everyday.

• Miles Neale (3/25/2015)

...I find that solving a problem is valuable no matter if you do the thing one time or many...

Sometimes we should consider it as mental exercises. We need to keep mentally in trim and problem solving is a great way of doing it.

EDIT: Removed a bit too much of the quote (including an important '[').

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Miles Neale (3/25/2015)

...What really gets me going is that someone posts a problem that later I have. The define the problem exactly and have a conversation with three or four others who suggest a resolution. Then the post this "I found it and fixed it. Thanks for the help..." And they do not post how they fixed it...

I have be known to try and goad people into returning to post their resolution by posting myself and hoping that they haven't turned off notifications.

Gaz

• I find that depth comes with the variations of a particular technique. I really enjoy doing a deep dive on a topic, but that specialization tends to keep the topics somewhat limited. The deep dive frequently reveals other applications for a technique. When the techniques are efficient and applicable to a problem I'm facing, it helps with the time required and the quality of what's written. I just have to make sure I don't force a technique to fit a problem where it doesn't belong, recognizing that a different technique is necessary.

Like so many things, balance is important. I don't care to learn every topic there is to learn. I'd never have time anyway. 😛

• I agree. My daughter's riding coach has told her that you must practice, practice, and practice. Most people practice until they get it right. A professional practices until they can't get it wrong. When we master a set of skills well enough for it to be easy for us to do, then we can consider that a level of competency has been achieved.

• My daughter's riding coach ...

I usually ride economy class.

• GoofyGuy (3/26/2015)

My daughter's riding coach ...

I scuffle along the gutter...

Gaz

• Gary Varga (3/26/2015)

GoofyGuy (3/26/2015)

My daughter's riding coach ...

I scuffle along the gutter...

I laugh!

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Installing SQL Server in a production environment is one area that few of us will ever master. Even in a large organization, there just enough enough opportunity for an in-house DBA to install a new instance, unless it's in a virtual or staging envrionment just for practice.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Andy, I enjoy your editorials and posts. They always seem to be sensible and sane in a sometimes-insane world.

Cheers,

Steve

• I love when past me leaves notes for how to solve a problem that present me is having.   🙂

That has proven helpful so many times, that I've picked up a few habits to make sure that it happens more often - leave notes with the exact script used on any tickets that get assigned to me; putting troubleshooting steps on our internal wiki; etc.  Right now, I'm working on migrating one of our pieces of vendor software to new hardware.  I create a document or script for every configuration change I make.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

• But, thanks to advancements in automation and the expanding pace of the IT ecosystem, we're all basically becoming a Jack Of All Scripts and Master Of None.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply