Master Keys

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Master Keys

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris

• Good question. 🙂

M&M

• Went with my gut feeling on this and got it right.

Great way to close the week.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Ah well, went with my gut feeling and got it wrong but that'll teach me to some research before guessing the answer to a question I don't know the answer to.

:exclamation: "Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience." :exclamation:

• Checked BOL and could not see an abvious answer so went with a gut instinct that there should only be one. 😀

• Seemed obvious to me there could only be one, given the syntax of the CREATE MASTER KEY statement doesn't provide a table parameter; how would the database determine which master key to use when encrypting and decrypting if there were more than one key? I suspect I found it obvious because I'm from a programming background, though...Lord knows there are plenty enough things that someone from a SQL background finds obvious which I really struggle with!

• Thanks for the question. Thought it was a trick for a minute. Then went with the obvious (to me) answer of one. IF you think about it, since the master key is "used to protect the private keys of certificates and asymmetric keys that are present in the database", there really only should be one. Plus, and this may not be so obvious to nonnative speakers of English, the term "master" implies a unique thing.

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Great question! I ended up going with what I thought the best answer was and got it right.

Everything is awesome!

• Thanks for the question!

• Plus one. For those of you with a three day weekend ahead; enjoy!

Cheers,

Steve

• Koen Verbeeck (5/25/2012)

Went with my gut feeling on this and got it right.

Great way to close the week.

Same here... 🙂 it makes sense... a database cannot serve two masters 😛

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• Interesting that "as many as you want created" is the most popular incorrect option. There's always a limit of some sort.

• These sorts of questions always make me wonder if what I think I know is correct.

Why would there more than one "master"? Seems like a simple question, but what if . . .

Converting oxygen into carbon dioxide, since 1955.
  • There is no direct reference in BoL, but there are plenty of indirect references. From http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174382.aspx for example:

The database master key is a symmetric key used to protect the private keys of certificates and asymmetric keys that are present in the database.

Note the use of the definite singular: "The database master key..." rather than the indefinite "a". This implies that there can be only one. There are plenty of other examples of this implication.

• Would help if I read the entire question. I did not read the last three words and didn't think the right answer was listed as an option. :w00t: After some research and still not finding an answer, I went back and re-read the entire question and knew it right away. Thanks for a nice end of the week question.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply