Massive slowdown in SELECT statement in Cursor from SQL 2000 to 2008 -- need help!

• Steve

Take another look at this part of the query:

SELECT

SVPromoInteractions.RefKey

FROM SVPromoInteractions

INNER JOIN (

SELECT

RefKey,

MIN(ContactDate) ContactDate -- Finds the oldest interaction, in case there are more than one 321 rec

FROM SVPromoInteractions

WHERE INum = @INum

AND PromoOrRef = 'R'

AND ResultStatus = 321

AND DeleteFlg = 'N'

GROUP BY RefKey

) GroupedRecs

ON SVPromoInteractions.RefKey = GroupedRecs.RefKey

AND SVPromoInteractions.ContactDate = GroupedRecs.ContactDate

WHERE INum = @INum

AND OrgNum = @OrgNum -- Referrer

AND ResultStatus = 321 -- Referred

GROUP BY

SVPromoInteractions.RefKey

I'm sure there's scope for reducing this to a single more efficient query.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• I would love to modify the entire SELECT statement to use an alternative, faster method than the aggregated query in play. I have attached the actual execution plan if anyone has any ideas.

• If I understand the query correctly, the task is to find the RefKey for the interactions which INum is @INum, PromoOrRef is R, ResultStatus is 312 and DeleteFlg is N - but only if the first contact date has OrgNum = @OrgNum.

In SQL 2008, this can be written more effeciently thanks to the row_number function introduced in SQL 2005. This permits you to number the rows and then you can filter rows in an outer query. The query below also features a Common Table Expression (CTE), which is basically the same thing as a derived table as used in the original query, but since the CTE it has a name, it can be referred to in multiple places in the query. (They can also be recursive.)

Please test this query carefully, not only for performance, but also for correctness!

; WITH numbering AS (

SELECT RefKey, OrgNum,

row_number() OVER(PARTITION BY RefKey ORDER BY ContactDate) AS rowno

FROM SVPromoInteractions

WHERE INum = @INum

AND PromoOrRef = 'R'

AND ResultStatus = 321

AND DeleteFlg = 'N'

)

SELECT RefKey

FROM numbering

WHERE rowno = 1

AND OrgNum = @OrgNum

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

• Thanks for the CTE recommendation. I will have to try it out and compare performance to the old method.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply