Mass Table Updates Question

• I am trying to do a mass update for a specific column in a table. I need to change the value of all rows with the "ProblemType" column of 32 to 12. I am trying to use this procedure but it keeps updating the entire table, not just the rows with ProblemType of 32. Where am I going wrong? PLEASE HELP!

use [database]

UPDATE Table1

SET ProblemType = 12

WHERE EXISTS (SELECT * FROM Table1 AS v

WHERE v.problemType = 32)

SQL Padre
    aka Robert M Bishop

"Do or do not, there is no try" -- Yoda

• You don't see a subquery.

use [database]

UPDATE Table1

SET ProblemType = 12

WHERE problemType = 32

The way you had it written, you were updating all rows.

• I am trying to do a mass update for a specific column in a table. I need to change the value of all rows with the "ProblemType" column of 32 to 12. I am trying to use this procedure but it keeps updating the entire table, not just the rows with ProblemType of 32. Where am I going wrong? PLEASE HELP!

use [database]

UPDATE Table1

SET ProblemType = 12

WHERE EXISTS (SELECT * FROM Table1 AS v

WHERE v.problemType = 32)

i think it is more simple with the code. I am not sure if you trying to achieve something else. Try this.

Update Table1

set ProblemType = 12

where Problemtype = 32

U need to change it to 12 where it is 32.

• Sorry Steve, I think we both wrote on same time.

• Thanks! Not sure where I got the "sub query idea from" but make sense to use just simple coding.

😀

SQL Padre
    aka Robert M Bishop

• You might need to use it in case of update statement from two different tables. It really depends on what you are trying to achieve.

• Let me ask this follow up if I can. If I wanted to change multiple ProblemTypes to 12 would the code be as follows

update Table1

SET ProblemType = 12

WHERE ProblemType = 32 or ProblemType = 3 or ProblemType = 46, etc

or would it be the AND connector?

SQL Padre
    aka Robert M Bishop

• Or if you want multiple ones.

Be sure that you use () to block out your ORs and ANDs. AND would match nothing since (I assume) you can't have a single row with ProblemType=32 and =3.

No worries on the double post, glad we both answered. Try not to quote if you don't need to. More stuff to scroll through.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply