Mark Items in different color if mismatch found.

• Hello,

Here is the SQL code and sample data from SSRS report.

CREATE TABLE #TEMP
    (
    TID VARCHAR(100),
    FName VARCHAR(100),
    LName VARCHAR(100),
    LDate DATE
    )
    INSERT INTO #TEMP VALUES ('878A','Don','Robotic','01/01/2019')
    INSERT INTO #TEMP VALUES ('878A','Dan','Robotic','01/03/2019')
    INSERT INTO #TEMP VALUES ('878A','Dan','Robo','01/04/2019')

--Data is used in SSRS Matix Report - Based on LDate column group -- here is sample data from SSRS report

01/01/2019 01/03/2019 01/04/2019
    TID 878A 878A 878A
    FName Don Dan Dan
    LName Robotic Robotic Robo

Well question is, need use color coding for mismatch/difference in values - Let me provide one example - Fname is different for 01/01/2019 and 01/03/2019 dates so these case need to highlight both of them in red color, and no need color for 01/04/2019 as value is same as previous value.  I have tried to use previous and current function in SSRS but it's not worked out due to previous function is overlapping in matrix . Is there any way we can achieve same in SQL?. Unfortunately table is having more than 200 columns,. It would be great something dynamic .  If any questions please let me know, any help much appreciated.

• I think it would be easier to return the value of the name last time in the data set and then check that. So, in your SELECT statement add:

LAG(FName,1,FNAME) OVER (ORDER BY LDate) AS PrevName

Then, for your background/text/whatever colour you can use an expression like the below:

=IIf(Fields!Fname.value = Fields!PrevName.Value, "LightGreen","Tomato")

No idea if those are the colours you want, but you get the idea.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thanks Thom, I have thought of LAG function to use, it will work for sure. the only worry is need use same function 200 times as 200 columns in a table. It is nice to do in data-set/report level. I will wait sometime to see if we can get any answer related data-set else will use same code. Thank you again for response.

• koti.raavi wrote:

Thanks Thom, I have thought of LAG function to use, it will work for sure. the only worry is need use same function 200 times as 200 columns in a table. It is nice to do in data-set/report level. I will wait sometime to see if we can get any answer related data-set else will use same code. Thank you again for response.

But your table only has 4 columns (TID, FName, LName and LDate); are we missing information here?

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• If your data, as you are implying, will have more than 4 columns then I would reshape the data thus, obviously extending it to cover all the columns

CREATE TABLE #TEMP
    (
    [NAME] VARCHAR(100),
    LDate DATE,
    [VALUE] VARCHAR(100)
    )
    INSERT INTO #TEMP VALUES ('TID','01/01/2019','878A');
    INSERT INTO #TEMP VALUES ('FName','01/01/2019','Don');
    INSERT INTO #TEMP VALUES ('LName','01/01/2019','Robotic');

INSERT INTO #TEMP VALUES ('TID','01/03/2019','878A');
    INSERT INTO #TEMP VALUES ('FName','01/03/2019','Dan');
    INSERT INTO #TEMP VALUES ('LName','01/03/2019','Robotic');

INSERT INTO #TEMP VALUES ('TID','01/04/2019','878A');
    INSERT INTO #TEMP VALUES ('FName','01/04/2019','Dan');
    INSERT INTO #TEMP VALUES ('LName','01/04/2019','Robo');

add LAG and the colour coding as Thom suggested

and feed it to a Matrix with row grouping on [NAME] and column grouping on LDate

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by  David Burrows.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by  David Burrows.

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• David Burrows wrote:

If your data, as you are implying, will have more than 4 columns then I would reshape the data thus, obviously extending it to cover all the columns

You'll need to convert to a consistent datatype here as well. I doubt that every column will be a varchar here if the OP does have over 200 columns.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

David Burrows wrote:

If your data, as you are implying, will have more than 4 columns then I would reshape the data thus, obviously extending it to cover all the columns

You'll need to convert to a consistent datatype here as well. I doubt that every column will be a varchar here if the OP does have over 200 columns.

True and good spot Thom 🙂

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply