Mapping inserted / source identity values

• Hi,

I have an interesting problem that i haven't been able to find a good solution for.

What i want to do is to make an insert from table source into destination and find out the mapping between the source and destination table rows.

The problem is that I cannot match the non-identity values on each other because they're no uniqueness between them. In real world, it's actually adress logging tables.

Here are the sample script:

CREATE TABLE [source] (i INT identity PRIMARY KEY, some_value VARCHAR(30))

CREATE TABLE [destination] (i INT identity PRIMARY KEY, some_value VARCHAR(30))

CREATE TABLE [mapping] (i_old INT, i_new INT) -- i_old is source.i value, i_new is the inserted destination.i column

-- Import some sample data...

INSERT INTO [source] (some_value)

SELECT TOP 30 name

FROM sysobjects

-- Destination has some data already

INSERT INTO [destination] (some_value)

SELECT TOP 30 name

FROM sysobjects

--Here, i want to transfer everything from source into destination, but be able to keep a mapping on the two tables:

-- I try to use OUTPUT clause, but i cannot refer to columns outside of the ones being inserted:

INSERT INTO [destination] (some_value)

--OUTPUT inserted.i, s.i INTO [mapping] (i_new, i_old) -- s.i doesn't work!!

SELECT some_value

FROM [source] s

I cannot change table definition, and i'd rather not mess with SET IDENTITY_INSERT ON either...

Does someone have an idea?

• In case someone is interested, i solved it by using SET IDENTITY_INSERT ON anyway, there was no other good way...

• A bit silly to reply to own post, but a better solution to this was to use the MERGE clause, it has access to both source and target and inserted / deleted data, allowing this mapping to be achieved without problems.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply