Manually fire an alert

• Hi,

We need to test our alerts, and ensure that our SCOM monitoring is picking them up. Is there a way to 'manually' fire an alert? Raiserror doesn't seem to be the answer. Some things we can force (fill a database), but other things, not so much. Hardware errors or integrity suspect, etc., are difficult. There used to be a way to force an integrity issue, but I haven't been able to find anything on google. If we could fire each alert manually, I think that would give us what we need.

And yes, I am doing this on a dev box. 🙂

Thanks,

Leonard

• It is very interesting what you are doing. If I understood, you are testing SCOM by generating alerts. I have been using SCOM for quite a while now and honestly I never tested. May I ask you why do you want to test SCOM? If you have setup the SCOM agent properly, you don't need to test all the alert types. If the agent is reporting an error it will report the other configured errors as well. I know this is not the answer to your question. If you want to get some corruption on a database you can check on the website from SQLSKILLs they have some sample databases.

• A couple of reasons to test. One, is to ensure everything is working as advertised (it doesn't, by the way). Not all alerts get picked up automatically. Some alerts have to be picked up from the event viewer, based on the id. We need to determine what these id's are. There are various things that have to be configured, and I don't trust the documentation and want to see actual results. I don't know anything about SCOM, I am working with our Ops group to configure all of this. We are also trying to get the SCOM to talk to CA's Spectrum, for auto ticketing. We have that kind of working, but the Ops group still has to manually send us the ticket.

From a SQL Server standpoint, SCOM is not very friendly, but its what we have to work with.

Thanks,

Leonard

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply