Management Studio MISSING!!

• We have just purchased the new Visual Studio 2008 professional. Like its predecessor it comes with 2 dvds, one for VS2008 and one for SQL Server 2005 develper edition.

When we install the Sql Server, the SSMS (Management studio) and Books on-line do not get installed no matter what we do. We have had to download the basic Management studio for the express edition to do our work. Is this a problem with the new dvds as we have tried everything but to no success.

Would greatly appreciate any assistance.

• You should get the Express Edition of SQL Server with VS and I don't think it includes SSMS.

• If you have got the Express edition then you will need to download and install the Management Studio for Express.

If you have Developer edition then you will have to specify the client tools to be installed during the installation process. They are not installed by default.

Gethyn Elliswww.gethynellis.com

• Keep in mind that the Dev edition, although it ships with Visual Studio, is a separate install from the main VS install. You need to grab that separate DVD and use it to install the Developer edition, over the "default" Express edition install (which happens as part of the VS install).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Many thanks for your reply.

We naturally did that(There are 2 dvds and we know the VS dvd only installs the express but we also need the Full server) . It was the same procedure with VS2005. However, only the Server gets installed after installing the SqlServer Developer edition dvd after the VS2008 installation. Even after selecting to install all client , development and Management tools but it still does not install the Management Studio.

• I've had that issue as well on a few singular machines in here. In those cases, I simply uninstall the Dev edition, then go into the VS install and manually remove Express, then re-run the Dev edition.

However - before having to go there - you should try to see if you're just missing the shortcut. Look for a file called sqlwb.exe: if you find it - try launching it (it's SSMS). If it works - just create your shortcut.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• SQL Server components are split across 2 install folders. The Server folder on the DVD (CD1 on CD media) contains only the server components. The Tools folder on the DVD (CD2 on CD media) contains SSMS and other client tools. You need to do separate installs from each folder on the DVD to get all the bits.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Have you tried running sqlwb from the run line?

• I had the same problem. It can be avoided entirely if you install SQL Server 2005 before VS 2008, but if you are reading this then it is too late for this.

I solved the problem by doing the following...

In Control Panel, uninstal SQL Server. Choose to uninstal both versions of SQL Server, Express and Developer.

Install SQL Server Developer.

Notice that SQL Server Management Studio is still not there.

Pull hair out. (optional, but recommended)

In Control panel, select SQL Server 2005 and click Change.

Make sure you select Workstation Components, Books Online etc. (even though I did this on installation, as I'm sure you did, they are not there).

When the changes are done, SSMS should be available.

• I agree. I don't think SSMS 2005/2008 are deinstalled; they seem to just be missing from the start menu.

I just created a shortcut to the SSMS 2008 (c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\Ssms.exe) and SSMS 2005 (c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\sqlwb.exe) on the desktop/toolbar.

• Just insert the DVD / CD and then choose repair or modify VS & SQL.

• This problem can be easily fixed by using SKUUPGRADE option in the installer as explained here -

• I am a newbie, and I have the same problem. I have tried everything above, to no avail. When I change components it says everything is already installed. when I search in the directory, sqlwb is not there. Any other suggestions.?

• Thansk, Jeff. Your post answered my questions.:-)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply