Management at Scale

• Sigerson (1/27/2014)

Agreed. You make a nice distinction between the types of companies and how they treat employees.

I strongly believe that an enlightened company which truly values its people best will then attract (and keep!) the best employees. Google seems to be a case in point. Those employees who find themselves well-treated will then do better work for their corporate masters. The employer will get higher quality output/products and they will not lose as much money to avoidable costs associated with high turnover and new employee training.

You're also correct that the employment landscape is changing for everyone as the economic conditions have grown tighter. It's just changing less fast for knowledge workers. Almost all other types of employees are finding themselves more expendable than we are. But our time may be coming.

I think our time has come, the question is how much it is affecting us. The US government allows something like 160,000 new H1b visa holders into the country every year, while companies like Microsoft tell everyone there just aren't any qualified American workers to hire. BS! Microsoft (and others) want to pay as little as they can, so they abuse the American worker by paying our senators and congressmen to allow more and more people to come in on visas. Then they underpay those workers (while claiming they don't!), which lowers average salaries, thus allowing them to underpay Americans. They outsource work to foreign companies, and blame the remaining workers for the lack of quality. All of this is supported by our government because that is what corporate America tells them to vote for.

I still agree with Steve, if only because I can't abide by not giving everything I can at whatever I do. I would just like to see a little return on investment for all of us who give our lives to one or more companies during our careers.

Dave

• I still agree with Steve, if only because I can't abide by not giving everything I can at whatever I do. I would just like to see a little return on investment for all of us who give our lives to one or more companies during our careers.

I agree with you about the H1-B's.

I don't believe in giving my life to a company, although maybe you were being melodramatic to make a point?

I do believe in doing the best I can while I'm there, but that will normally be pretty close to 40 hrs/wk unless there's a real emergency (as opposed to a manufactured staffing shortage.) I have other things I want to do with my time than work. I'm quite comfortable sticking to that rule.

At the end I want to be able to say that many things mattered to me more than where I worked or even what I did for a living.

Sigerson

"No pressure, no diamonds." - Thomas Carlyle

• I'm obviously reading this editorial differently to the rest of you. I'm not reading it as an attempt by management to scam employees to do ever more for ever less.

I'm reading it as automating the boring stuff so you can devote your time to interesting stuff! The interesting stuff is where you learn and grow.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply