Making the best of a bad RAID situation

• We have a far from optimal situation and I wanted to throw this out for comment. We're buying a new server, but the best we can do is six disk drives, 146 gig 15k SCSI. It's going to be transactionally intense (at least by our standards), and I don't know how much the app is going to hit tempdb.

The transaction log for the production database is around 2 gig, as is tempdb. The database itself is around 30 gig, it is not split into filegroups. Performance Monitor says we have a max of around 130-150 TPS (though I just saw a spike of 426) and an average of 20-30 with around 150 users.

I'm looking at the following scenarios and wanted people's opinions:

Scenario A: RAID 5 the whole thing, everybody lives on the same six spindles. Probably the least desirable scenario but also the most common in my shop (set up long before I got here).

Scenario B: Two drives as a RAID 1 pair for the transaction log then the rest for OS, SQL, and the rest of the database and tempdb as RAID 5.

Scenario C: three pairs of mirrored drives, one for production log, one for OS, SQL Server, and the databases, one for tempdb.

Scenario D: OS/SQL Server on a mirrored pair, RAID 5 the remaining four drives for all databases and logs.

I like B. C has a lot of merit, but could run a little tight on space when the database grows. It's a canned system, so this is about all I can do to optimize things.

Any comments are appreciated, though I'll be slow responding after today as I'm out for two weeks and will be having carpal tunnel surgery tomorrow! Woohoo! :w00t:

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• B is probably your best bet with those drives. Hard drive arrangement is part of server optimization, but it's usually far less important than well-written code.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• And sadly, this system is far from well-written code. 😀

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply