making calculated cells

• i want to know about calculated cells in analysis services..their purpose and ..how they are used.how to make calculated cells..

the whole process..

can anyone guide me..

or tell me wherei can find further details..

• A calculated cell is a value that is calculated ('doh') from other values in the cube.

It is used to provide a certain value without everyone having to do the maths themselves.

An additional advantage can be that you store the calculated value in the cube, which will improve performance of the cube (but also increase the storage size).

You should check Books On-Line for more information on the subject.

• can calculated cells be used to apply different formulas to get information from different level of the cube..

i mean is it possible that if i dnt want the valus to sum up to a level in the cube rather find the max value at that level..

and for this purpose can i use calculated cells..

could anyone guide me

• Calculated cells shouldn't increase the size of the cube at all, they're calculated at run time, so only the formula is stored. I would suggest looking into BOL for more information but it does sound like Calc Cells will do what you want.

We recently had a financial cube where I wanted the all member to have the value of a child member, but it could have gotten it's value from any part of the cube. I haven't tried but it prob could have used a cubelookup to get a value from a different cube if required.

HTH,

Steve.

Steve.

• Steve, you are right; calculated cells don't store the value in the cube.

I was trying to say that, if you store a calculated cell or member in your cube (so during your cube build), you can improve performance at the cost of increased storage space.

• Sairah, I am not sure what you want to accomplish exactly, but from your explanation, you don't need a calculated cell.

It should be sufficient to set the Aggregate Function property of you Measure to 'Max'.

• how can i set Aggregate Function property of a Measure to 'Max' at a particular level in the cube

• I don't think that is possible. You can only set the property for your measure; on all levels.

If you want to set it on one level only, I think it's best to use a calculated cell.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply