major pageiolatch timeout errors on my DTS jobs

• Ok, I thought I would start with it here and we can move this around if need be, I know its a multi level problem. What I am doing is loading a ton of raw data from flat files into a general staging table and from that table loading data to several other tables via SQL scripts. Whats happening is once I start the package the first step starts its thread and immediatly issues a pageiolatch and hangs up everything else. The table I am reading from has no writes happening to it when I read I am reading it with a nolock hint issued and inserting into tables with no indexes on them or anything else that can effect bulk insert speed and issuing a table lock on the table being inserted into. No job inserts into the same table at the same time causing a latch to be issued. I didn't start having this problem until we attached the server to our Symmetrix EMC SAN. Everytime in the past I have seen huge timeout errors due to a pageiolatch wait or page lock in general there has been something physically wrong with the disk sub set. I do get data about 300 rows a second where before I was getting somewhere around 15k rows a second. If anyone has had issues like this before I would love to hear it. My hardware team is saying it's SQL's fault and the SAN is fine but I don't think it is a SQL issue.

Any ideas?

Wes

p.s. I'll post the exact timeout errors and latch wait types when I get back into work tomorrow!

• Ok, We have a resolution to the issue. I'll give some detail for you guys. What it came down to is I thought it was a hardware issue with the SAN or on the server's HBA controller that talks to the SAN, hardware team thought it was SQL because they had done everything to the SAN to check it out and it was clean. Finally, we got tired of just holding to our respective guns and called MS in to look at the situation. It boiled down to the HBA driver faulting under a load and not the SAN or SQL. So, if you are running Emulex HBA on HP servers attached to EMC storage watch your driver for that card.

Wes

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply