major differences between SQL 2008 R2 SSAS and Cognos

• so we have a few old cognos servers and we will need to go 64 bit soon since we're collecting a lot of data. We talked to Cognos about buying version 8 of their software and it's going to be $70,000 to $100,000 plus the hardware.

SQL Server 2008 R2 is $30,000 including the hardware.

Cognos includes MDS which we may not even be using. any other features that Cognos 8 has that SQL 2008 R2 Enterprise doesn't?

• Hi Alan,

did you find anything regarding this?

We're currently using Cognos 7 and have begun to migrate to Cognos 8. But when I did a more thorough examination of all the cost involved, it went through the roof. For instance, Data Manager Engine is now licenced in Power Value Unit (PVU). Before, a quad-core CPU was 1 CPU. Now, with PVU, you're paying the price of 2 CPUs. I'm thinking of swithing all our Cognos to SQL Server 2008 R2. But like you, I'd like a comparison of the features between SQL Server 2008 R2 and Cognos.

Thanks.

Patrick

• not yet

so far the only thing that seems different is that Cognos includes MDS by default where with SQL 2008 R2 you have to buy the expensive version. when i asked the sales person he never answered me. he just went with the usuall sales person BS by saying how Cognos is so much better and MS is the new guy with less features.

• What sort of features are you looking to compare? Purely the OLAP side, or into things like reporting (for Microsoft it's SSRS for Cognos its [insert suite name here, it changes too much for me 😉 ]. There are *a lot* of great features that roll straight out of the box with the Msft offering, but to be clear, I would *always* price as using Enterprise edition, not Standard, and also look for where you may need Office upgrades too, to complete the experience.

Am happy to give you the Msft comparable if you tell me the part of Cognos you're looking at.

Steve.

• Cognos 8, do you have the comparables?

• our devs ended up buying cognos 10

IBM is awesome. powerplay was in prior cognos products that we have, but not in the new one we bought

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply