Maintenance Plans - Index Rebuild fails with floating point exception

• Hello everyone,

We have maintenance plans set to run every morning, that does all the optimisations and index rebuild. The issue I have that once in a while, not everyday, the Index rebuild fails with message

[Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)] Error 3628: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]A floating point exception occurred in the user process. Current transaction is canceled.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

I checked Microsoft KB for KB 829444 and it says the issue was fixed in SP4. However We are running SQL 2000 with SP4.

There are not any conflictinh database activity around the time of maintenance plans.

Also there is no pattern in the days of failure.

Any ideas, advice, suggestions?

Thanks in advance

NPR

• Hello,

The issue still persist. I have checked everywhere and no information is available, except that this is fixed in SP4. But we are on SP4 and no clue moving forward. Any help be really great,

Thanks

• Do you have any computed columns i hope so the problems are still there with computed columns.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• Sugesh, Thanks for the reply. No! there are no computed columns.

• Well, the issue is now resolved. For those who are interested

There are tables with columns defined as FLOAT. 2 such Float columns are part of indices and the rebuild index fails as the floating values lost the precision. DBCC CheckDB with Repair_Fast option helped (suggested by Microsoft Support).

On safer side, we decided to convert these columns to Money/Decimal (where applicable).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply