Maintenance Plans and Notify Operator Task(SQL Server 2016 Enteprise)

• I have scheduled a maintenance for a full backup for a database and in addition configured notify operator task for success and also for failure of the job.The challenge now is that the notification that is coming is for a failed job yet the job has succeeded.What could be wrong with my set-up.

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris

• Hello,

I think the maintenance plan should have created a SQL Server agent job. Can you have a look at the history of that job and see if it shows any errors?

What's showing that the job has succeeded?

Are there additional stages configured in the maintenance plan such as deleting backup history? Perhaps the backup is working but the delete is failing?

• You need to validate the constraint connections between your tasks.  For example - if you have a task to perform backups, and 2 separate tasks for notification, then one of those tasks should be configured for error (red) and the other for success (green).

If you have multiple tasks built - for example, a task for integrity check - task to backup - and a task to cleanup old back files and 2 notify operator tasks, then you would need a green-dashed constraint from each task to the success notification and a red-dashed constraint to the failure notification.  To get the dashed version - double-click on one of the constraint lines and change from Logical, And to Logical, Or...

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I think the maintenance plan should have created a SQL Server agent job. Can you have a look at the history of that job and see if it shows any errors?

The job succeeds there are no errors.

What's showing that the job has succeeded?

The backup file is there in the designated folder.

Are there additional stages configured in the maintenance plan such as deleting backup history? Perhaps the backup is working but the delete is failing?

Just the full back up task from the toolbox of maintenance plans.There are extra steps.

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris

• I found the error I had two similar jobs doing the same thing and the maintenance plan that I was sending notification I was checking was actually failing.Noted and thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply