Maintenance Plan "Ghost"

• System details: SQL 2014 SQL Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (SP1-CU9-GDR) (KB3194722) - 12.0.4487.0 (X64) Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.3 <X64> (Build 9600: ) (Hypervisor) SP1
    Process:

• Make a basic backup maintenance plan. Save it. See the jobs created in SQL Agent. But,

• There's nothing in maintenance plan folder and,
    • No records in sysmaintplan_plans or sysdbmaintplan_databases
    Any clues on why this is happening?

P.S. Yes, I am aware of Ola scripts and other solutions. This works (or should) for the basic process.

• ReReplaced - Thursday, November 8, 2018 1:27 PM

System details: SQL 2014 SQL Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (SP1-CU9-GDR) (KB3194722) - 12.0.4487.0 (X64) Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.3 <X64> (Build 9600: ) (Hypervisor) SP1

• Make a basic backup maintenance plan. Save it. See the jobs created in SQL Agent. But,

• There's nothing in maintenance plan folder and,
    • No records in sysmaintplan_plans or sysdbmaintplan_databases
    Any clues on why this is happening?

P.S. Yes, I am aware of Ola scripts and other solutions. This works (or should) for the basic process.

If you check the job itself and go to the first step for whatever subplan and select edit, what does it list for the package location on the package tab of the job?
    Another thought and hopefully this isn't it but have you tried with another version of SSMS?

Sue

• Sue, Here's the screenshot - there's a few Maintenance plans listed, but not in the maintenance plan folder
  • ReReplaced - Thursday, November 8, 2018 1:47 PM

Sue, Here's the screenshot - there's a few Maintenance plans listed, but not in the maintenance plan folder

Yes I saw that and the jobs. That's why I asked about the jobs and also trying another version of SSMS.

Sue

• Sue_H - Thursday, November 8, 2018 1:52 PM

ReReplaced - Thursday, November 8, 2018 1:47 PM

Sue, Here's the screenshot - there's a few Maintenance plans listed, but not in the maintenance plan folder

Yes I saw that and the jobs. That's why I asked about the jobs and also trying another version of SSMS.

Sue

Apologies for stating the obvious. I've tried SSMS 2014 on the VM, 2016 and 2008 on my workstation - the plans do not show in any of the SSMS consoles.

Edit: I built all on the VM server, in the 2014 SSMS console

• I know this, but I don't remember it! 
    I haven't used maintenance plans for a long time.

There's a glitch in the GUI of SSMS, and I THINK, if you rename the jobs, or remove a step, or something like that, the steps of the maintenance plan essentially disappear.

Here's what I suggest. Create the maintenance plan and do not change anything.  Then re-open it and make whatever changes you need.  I do remember that

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John - Thursday, November 8, 2018 2:14 PM

I know this, but I don't remember it! 
    I haven't used maintenance plans for a long time.

There's a glitch in the GUI of SSMS, and I THINK, if you rename the jobs, or remove a step, or something like that, the steps of the maintenance plan essentially disappear.

Here's what I suggest. Create the maintenance plan and do not change anything.  Then re-open it and make whatever changes you need.  I do remember that

Thanks for the response John. I've heard similar, so I tried to eliminate as many of those variables as possible - this is a brand new MaintPlan I just built, basically for this test. Made the plan, saved it. refreshed the instance. Found the Sql Agent jobs, can see the maintenance plan (and others) when I look at the step. I can't see them in the GUI folder, and maybe I'm missing how to query them in MSDB, but it seems like they do not exist there either.

• rtrim(ltrim(' ')) - Thursday, November 8, 2018 2:28 PM

. Found the Sql Agent jobs, can see the maintenance plan (and others) when I look at the step.

That was the other question I originally asked as I also remember some odd issue where they don't display in the GUI.
    If you are a sysadmin, a couple of other things to try would be see if running SSMS doing Run As Administrator makes a difference. You may also want to try restarting the Agent service.

Sue

• Look in msdb.dbo.sysssispackages - this is where you find the SSIS packages that are loaded in the MSDB database.  Not sure why they would not appear in the GUI - I have never seen that issue before...

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply