Maintenance Plan failed

• I am in no way a DBA but since I know what it stands for I am the accidental DBA.

There is a scheduled job that runs on the 3rd Saturday of a the month.

It failed on the weekend.

JOB RUN:'MaintenancePlan - Reorg - DWAnalytics.Subplan_1' was run on 2/21/2009 at 9:00:00 PM

DURATION:15 hours, 21 minutes, 21 seconds

MESSAGES:The job failed. The Job was invoked by Schedule 20 (DWAnalytics 3rd Saturday of Month). The last step to run was step 1 (Subplan_1).

I do not see any errors in the SQL error log or in the NT Event Viewer log.

On the properties of the job, I see the following on the command line tab

/SQL "Maintenance Plans\MaintenancePlan - Reorg - DWAnalytics" /SERVER "DATASERV" /MAXCONCURRENT " -1 " /CHECKPOINTING OFF /SET "\Package\Subplan_1.Disable";false /REPORTING E

This is the version of SQL Server

SERVERPROPERTY('productversion')=9.00.3042.00,

SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel') =SP2

SERVERPROPERTY ('edition')=Standard Edition

How do I trouble this this failure?

Thanks in advance

• In Management Studio, right-click on the job, and select History. To the left of the job in the history, it will have a red symbol indicating job failure. Click the plus on that, and click on the row that opens up. Down at the bottom of that window, it will have more details on the error. (There are other ways to get that data, this is just one of them, but it's pretty convenient once you've used it a few times.)

If you can copy and paste more of the error message here, we can probably tell you more about what to look for to fix it.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks for info.

Date2/21/2009 9:00:01 PM

LogJob History (MaintenancePlan - Reorg - DWAnalytics.Subplan_1)

Step ID1

ServerDATASERV

Job NameMaintenancePlan - Reorg - DWAnalytics.Subplan_1

Step NameSubplan_1

Duration15:21:19

Sql Severity0

Sql Message ID0

Operator Emailed

Operator Net sent

Operator Paged

Retries Attempted0

Executed as user: DOMAIN\sqladmin. ... 9.00.3042.00 for 32-bit Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-2005. All rights reserved.

Started: 9:00:01 PM Progress: 2009-02-21 21:00:17.01

Source: {99430477-0A1A-4AD8-8E3F-2068DB20CAF3}

Executing query "DECLARE @GUID UNIQUEIDENTIFIER EXECUTE msdb..sp".: 100% complete End Progress

Progress: 2009-02-21 21:02:56.05

Source: Rebuild Index

Executing query "USE [DWAnalytics] ".: 0% complete End Progress

Progress: 2009-02-21 21:02:59.87

Executing query "ALTER INDEX [i_Active_Contract_Prices1] ON [dbo].[".: 0% complete End Progress

Progress: 2009-02-21 21:02:59.87

Executing query "USE [DWAnalytics] ".: 0% complete End Progress

Progress: 2009-02-21 21:03:06.91

Executing query "ALTER INDEX [i_Active_Group_Prices1] ON [dbo].[Act".: 0% complete End Progress

Progress: 2009-02-21 21:03:06.91

Source... The package execution fa... The step failed.

Should I try and run these Alter Index commands in a query window?

• You could, but it's generally a bad idea to do that on a production server during the day.

You should have an error message on the job that failed. Check for that.

This should give you the error messages:

use msdb;

go

select name, step_name, cast(cast(run_date as char(8)) as datetime) as date, message

from dbo.sysjobhistory history

inner join dbo.sysjobs jobs

on history.job_id = jobs.job_id

where run_status = 0

and step_name != '(Job outcome)'

order by run_date desc;

Try that, see if it gives you more details in the message column about the error.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Same details as the Management Studio properties screen.

• I guess you're going to have to run the scripts yourself and see if you can get more details.

Property of The Thread

• Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply