Maintenance job

• We have many maintenance plan failed after our DBA gone, Since many job owners are owned by her.

I'm now trying to change it back to my account, is this a good practice or any other account should I use?

If we create another domain account for user, then every time I have to login as this user, and modify the maintenace plan, so that the job owner still keeps the same. But this is hard, for everytime I have to login as a user different than my own account by using run as.

I can use SSMS to connect to many servers to do this using that account, but sometimes I do use a lot of remote sessions to look at disk space , so it is not so convenient.

What's the best practice of this?

Thanks

• I don't know that there is a single best practice, but in general I would advocate for having a service account for SQL Server and have the jobs owned by that service account. That way you know what access levels are like on all servers and it's not a person that's going to get fired or quit.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• So then the service account has to be a sysadmin, correct?

And everytime I need to change the maintenance job, I have to login to SSMS by using that service account?

I believe some version of SSMS can use run as another user, but some cannot?

Correct?

Thanks

• When a maintenance plan is created, it will be owned by the user logged into the system when it is created.

The owner will not be changed after the fact. Any other users with the appropriate permissions to edit the maintenance plan can change the plan without updating the owner.

With that said, what I do is use the following to change the ownership of the maintenance plan. Once that is done, the agent jobs need to be recreated to set the owner of the jobs to the new login. All that is needed for this is to edit the sub-plan and save the plan again.

Use msdb;

Declare @owner varbinary(85);

Set @owner = 0x01 -- sa

Update msdb.dbo.sysdtspackages90

Set ownersid = @owner

Where ownersid <> @owner

And packagetype = 6;

-- Display Plans and owners

Select dts.[name]

,dts.[description]

,dts.createdate

,dts.ownersid -- verify this matches above

,p.name As Username -- Will only display if user exists on this server

From msdb.dbo.sysdtspackages90 dts

Left Join sys.server_principals p On p.sid = dts.ownersid

Where dts.packagetype = 6;

Go

If you are on SQL Server 2008 or above, the code needs to be changed to use the sysssispackages table instead of sysdtspackages90.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• This is good to know.

I wonder if using sa is a good practice, read from somewhere, sa account should be disabled for best security.

• Also is there a query for me to pull all the maintenace plan name, owner name, and jobs for both sql 2005 and 2008?

Thanks

• I don't see any issues with using 'sa' as the owner of agent jobs.

As for a query, it is included in my previous post.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

• Thanks, is there a way also include the job name and its owner in the query too?

• Not that I am aware of, you can check to see if there is an identifier in the sysdtspackages90 table that would relate to the identifiers in the sysjobs tables.

I don't think there is anything - but I could be wrong.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

• I cannot find it either.

So there should be a relationship between maintence plan and their jobs, not sure what table to use to query?

Thanks

• This should get you the JobOwners along with the PackageOwners. I wrote it so it will work in 2008 (adapt for 2005 by referencing the script Jeff provided) and it will return all SSIS Package Types.

-- Display Plans and owners

Select dts.[name]

,dts.[description]

,dts.createdate

,dts.ownersid -- verify this matches above

,p.name As PackageOwner -- Will only display if user exists on this server

,JOB.name as JobOwner

,SSISPackageType =

case dts.packagetype

when 0 then 'default value'

When 1 Then 'SQL Server Import and Export Wizard'

When 2 Then 'DTS Designer in SQL Server 2000'

When 3 Then 'SQL Server Replication'

When 5 Then 'SSIS Designer'

When 6 Then 'Maintenance Plan Designer or Wizard'

End

From msdb.dbo.sysssispackages dts

Left Join master.sys.server_principals p

On p.sid = dts.ownersid

Left Outer Join msdb.dbo.sysjobsteps SJS

On dts.name = substring(SJS.command,CHARINDEX('\',sjs.command)+1,charindex('"',sjs.command,CHARINDEX('\',sjs.command))-CHARINDEX('\',sjs.command)-1)

And SJS.subsystem = 'ssis'

Left Outer Join msdb.dbo.sysjobs SJ

On SJS.job_id = SJ.job_id

Left Outer Join master.sys.server_principals JOB

On JOB.sid = SJ.owner_sid

Go

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thanks a lot, I will give it a try.

• I found a way to relate maintenance plans to their associated agent jobs. It is quite simple...

The job_id is stored in the table: sysmaintplan_subplans and can be used directly to get the actual job created for the sub-plan.

Note, this only works for maintenance plans - and does not give you the job for SSIS packages.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

• Jeffrey Williams-493691 (4/6/2011)

I found a way to relate maintenance plans to their associated agent jobs. It is quite simple...

The job_id is stored in the table: sysmaintplan_subplans and can be used directly to get the actual job created for the sub-plan.

Note, this only works for maintenance plans - and does not give you the job for SSIS packages.

well that is a bit simpler than what I did for the maint plan at least.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/6/2011)

Jeffrey Williams-493691 (4/6/2011)

I found a way to relate maintenance plans to their associated agent jobs. It is quite simple...

well that is a bit simpler than what I did for the maint plan at least.

Yes - but does not include the jobs associated with SSIS packages. Makes sense, because you don't create a job from a package, but you do create a job from a maintenance plan.

I like what you did - but would probably only use it to identify the jobs that are related to any SSIS packages. Since most of the time I only need to worry about maintenance plans - this really never came up. I know what those plan names are and don't really need to get it in a query.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply